Multi car policy for modded cars

Irn Bru

As title, is there multi car policies for modded cars ?. Asked my own insurance company but didn't really get the answer I was looking for and they don't like NoS modded cars.

Looking at buying a 450 bhp car as standard and want to throw some money at it chasing numbers, not going to spend more than 5k on top of the £10k for the car to chase the numbers so hence NoS. Want to build a 1/4 mile munching bullet and looking to get 600bhp+.

But it's also going to be a regular use road car, so looking at the Audi s / rs models. What Insurance company's would insure it and my modded Z under the one policy.......If any ??

I only found 3 companies in the UK that will insure a car with NOS and then they don't cover you. ( I used Adrian Flux)

You can have the kit fitted but if you have an accident and the bottles are turned on your cover is invalid - so it's a joke and they charge extra for it!

You'd still need to declare the install, even if no bottle fitted. Quite how an insurer would choose to define that risk I don't know, but certainly if you're intending on having any of it on display I definitely wouldn't risk it. Plus, if you have a big accident and then a guy comes out to inspect the damage, they'll be very quick to invalidate your cover when they see you have a kit installed, even if there's no bottle. I suspect you'd have a hard time in court not sounding like an extra from a FnF film too, should you try and argue your case.

For me, that's not something small that you could get away with, like a lightened flywheel. It'll be fairly obvious what it is, even at a cursory glance. 

4 minutes ago, Ekona said:

You'd still need to declare the install, even if no bottle fitted. Quite how an insurer would choose to define that risk I don't know, but certainly if you're intending on having any of it on display I definitely wouldn't risk it. Plus, if you have a big accident and then a guy comes out to inspect the damage, they'll be very quick to invalidate your cover when they see you have a kit installed, even if there's no bottle. I suspect you'd have a hard time in court not sounding like an extra from a FnF film too, should you try and argue your case.

For me, that's not something small that you could get away with, like a lightened flywheel. It'll be fairly obvious what it is, even at a cursory glance. 

Exactly how I see it Dan, not one for not declaring even the smallest of mods as you know so reckon I'll be down to just a few company's to choose from and even then not sure if I can get a multi car policy. Hopefully one of the member insurance guys can chime in

Edited by Irn Bru
  • Like 1

I ran nitrous, and was insured through a company called brentacre. They were good, but insisted it was insured to its bhp when nitrous was in use (calculated by the shot 50shot-50bhp approx).

They also insisted that even if the bottle itself was removed it would have to be insured as having it due to the rest of the fittings in the car.   I argued that having a turbo on my back seat doesn't mean I have to insure the car as turbo'd, but in the end I understood what they were saying and I wanted to be safe if there was an accident

• Like 1