Need to replace the front tyres.

mr v6

I need to replace both front tyres within the next couple of months, they're currently Bridgestone RE040. Both of the rears are Bridgestone RE050. A few tyre places are telling me the 050 are now replaced with the T001 & S001, yet the 050 are still available. I've had no grip issues in either the wet or dry, car handles as well as you'd expect, so is it best to stick with 050 on the front for a matching set? I've had good experience with Avon ZZ5 & Flaken ZIEX on previous cars, but I'd like to keep the Z as close to standard as I can.

Any info on replacement would be nice:teeth:.

If the 050 on the rear have still alot of life I'd get matching fronts.

Like you say, you're not unhappy with them so why risk running different fronts and rears and being unhappy with the results.

If not much life on the rears then it's more headache as theres the opportunity to get a full new set of whatever you fancy :lol:

What cars did you have the Avons and Falkens on? A tyre that works well on a Civic might not be so effective on a 300bhp heavy GT car. As HP said above, if you got loads of tread on the 050As then go with them on the front they have good reviews. The general concensus is that Michelin Sport 4s are great tyres, but Conti's etc. are going to be good enough too if you are looking for reasonable fast road grip.

050As are very good tyres. Really, when you changed the rears you should've changed the fronts to match, so you'll have a much better and neutral handling car now.

The Avons and Fkakens you mentioned are suitable for shopping trolley cars, not sports ones. Well, you can get away with the ZZ5s on a Caterham due to the really low weight, but otherwise I wouldn't put them anywhere near a performance car.

I will be replacing like for like on the fronts as the rears have loads of tread left. Only today I noticed (a year on) my rears are 255/45/18, so obviously the previous owner went for the slightly wider rears.