Are you happy with your job??

stanski

Are you happy in your current job?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy in your current job?

• Yes
    • No

I love my job, in fact, while some of you may understandably disagree, I think it's the best job in the world! Someone once told me "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life". It's true, while I sit in my nice hotel room in Detroit waiting for my transfer flight to mexico, the anticipation and excitment of the next few weeks is terrific.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a commercial diver. I would normally be working in the North Sea for the oil and gas industry, but the season for air work has yet to kick off. So during the winter months I occupy my time with civil engineering diving. This means I get to spread my wings and travel. I've been to southern India, Sri Lanka, the Maldives, a bunch of middle eastern countries, and very soon, Mexico.

Nope, there is no better job that I can honestly think I'd rather be doing :D

Someone sent me this recently :lol:

My friend, you are in trouble! What you have here is a bonafide addiction, you're away on holiday and just can't keep off the site I'm not sure if there's any support groups or workshops that can help you here, but I'm starting to worry!

Get off and go and do some sight seeing.

There there, there there. ;)

:lol::lol::lol: Yeah, walked right into that one! Sadly, there's no time to go exploring, and to honest there doesn't appear to be that much around to look at here. When we get down to Mexico later today, then I'll have a good look around, got tomorrow off to recover from the travelling, so that'll help. :D

I love my job, its tough, we play hard and work very hard but get paid a lot (for Wales anyway). I'm an Infrastructure Supervisor for 3 UK sites, a Nickel Refinery (Wales), Precious Metals Refinery and Market office in Central London.

Long hours, constantly on call (never out of the office with a Blackberry!). Trips to Canada occasionally and there is a good chance my territory will increase into Europe (unless their IT dudes are better!).

I got out of IT a few years ago after some life altering stuff made me and my wife re-evaluate and we took 2 years out rennovating property. Missed the routine (and money) so went back into I.T. and got lucky with a superb job.

never out of the office with a Blackberry

Coo do you remember the days before mobiles when people only got in touch with you - when you turned up in the office!!

Mobile devices - modern evil, just ditch them, never a moments rest! :headhurt:

At work I carry 2 mobiles and a blackberry

Martin I guess in your job you need to - quite a few things at stake?

In my line of work no one will die, worse case a box of washing powder wont get made on time or a pallet of icecream will melt so the end consumer wont be able to cool off on a warm day and have nothing to wash his sweaty shirt with afterwards ... :lol::lol:

Diving or shifting a massive load from one place to another is another game though - proper work with tangible rewards that you can see - thats my problem I dont see the end result of my work most of the time :dry:

never out of the office with a Blackberry

Coo do you remember the days before mobiles when people only got in touch with you - when you turned up in the office!!

I disagree with you there Stan. Mobile working has improved my quality of life enormously. I work from home a lot now so I don't have the M62 hassle that I used to have in my previous jobs (1 hour in the morning to travel 16 motorway miles to the office :scare: and the same coming home at night).

I work in sales and as such my productivity is directly related to my level of activity. Now, if I have a 2 hour car journey to go and see a customer I can use that time to make calls, sort out problems and ultimately make more money for both my employer and myself. The ability to work freely, wherever and whenever I want means that if I decide to check my messages/emails at lunch time while I am on top of a mountain in the Alps, I can. This for me is a benefit because sometimes, especially when I've been working on very large tenders/contracts, I'd rather still be able to influence things than be cut off for the week I'm away. I can spend 6-12 months campaigning with a customer and if it turns out they are going to be making a key decision while I'm on holiday, I want to be able to be contacted... Especially when the commission payments can be big enough to buy a new Zed! :D

Do you not get any personal satisfaction knowing that what you've been working on is helping your employer to meet its business targets, targets that are tangible and that are undoubtably underpinned by the efforts of people in jobs like yours?

Maybe its just because I'm a salesperson... if someone sets me a target/challenge, I just want to hit it or over acheive it and doing that gives me my satisfaction (OK, the commission is good too ;) ).

Anyway, that turned out to be more of a rant than I intended, sorry...

My problem with phones is that I cover 24/7 when at work and am often up all night. I then go to bed at 8 am and get some clown phoning at 9 am to see if we want any printer carts as they are on offer. Cant turn the phones off because we are on call. They drive me mad :rant:

Ok where do I start? :)

I used to be on call 24x7 for years at previous jobs- makes you a nervous wreck - cant do or plan for anything as sods law states you will get called!

I would love to work from home more often (only happens when you need to sort something at home)- for me its absolute heaven.

:thumbs:

I have the longest journey in to work in our team - 1 hours drive in, average 2 hours home or 3,4,5 if a bad night.

Blackberries are the devils work your constantly checking your email etc etc never get to switch off.

There is no physical reason why I can't managed umpteen factories from a beach on the Carribean but they wont let me do that either!! :lol:

For your job in sales - its your lifeline, I understand that and it was mine when I was contracting for a while, but in my job we need a definite line - i.e work and home time - mobile devices blur that line. So thats why I like to switch off and enjoy my personal time.

On the works front I am a practical person and signed up to solve problems, help users, fix things, makes things better, etc irrespective of company targets. That used to be the IT job - now its all down to money saving , outsourcing, politics and admin overheads - its not IT anymore I'm afraid? Think thats the way a lot of jobs are going :surrender:

Are you still awake......... :headhurt:

That used to be the IT job - now its all down to money saving , outsourcing, politics and admin overheads - its not IT anymore I'm afraid? Think thats the way a lot of jobs are going :surrender:

Selling IT Solutions has gone the same way Stan. More and more often I talk to customers about cost reduction, headcount reduction, meeting "Green" targets, providing better service for less money... Oh and we'll do this by changing your IT, but don't worry too much about that...

Personally, I find it moire interesting to talk about business transformation with my customers than about IT. IT is so boring!

IT is so boring!

Agree 900% with you there mate :thumbs:

Thats why I want to open a cake shop - its my plan to take over the world with cream buns :lol:

When do we start :thumbs:

Excellent idea!

Stan, you can be in charge of Production. I'll be in charge of Sales & Marketing and Martin can be responsible for delivery and being on call!!!! :lol:

Maybe its just because I'm a salesperson... if someone sets me a target/challenge, I just want to hit it or over acheive it and doing that gives me my satisfaction (OK, the commission is good too ;) ).

I totally hear you on that one Andy. ;)

Yes mobile communications are a modern evil, but as Andy says you can literally be anywhere and still do your job. Give me a computer and a phone, and I'm set.