Can you wrap body kits directly?

MDMetal

Random question as part of my long term future plans!

Is it possible to wrap bodykit panels directly ie without painting them up to the full standard and then wrapping on top? I'm pondering getting front and rear bumpers and skirts (possibly even front wings)

If I was to get the car wrapped I'd want to fix some existing paint issues before wrapping to ensure that the paintwork is in good quality when the wrapps applied and removed (few chips on the bonnet, laqure peeling on the A pillar in 1 area) Obviously if I'm also preping and paint all my new pannels that's almost a full respray and then a wrap which seems a little overkill, may as well get the full respray, however if I can just correct the remaining pannels and wrap the new parts directly without a spray that's a lot cheaper.

ANyone done this?

Basically whatever imperfections you have in the bodywork will show up through a wrap, to a certain extent. For example, on mine I've a couple of tiny triangles on the sill where the jacking points are indicated and you can see those clear as day, however where there were other minor scratches you can't see anything. Any bigger lumps n bumps will need to be smoothed out before you apply the wrap.

However, if you're asking does a panel need to be painted before being wrapped, I'd say the answer is definitely no. As long as the body work is smooth (so you may need/want filler and sanding as appropriate) then you can wrap straight over the top.

25 minutes ago, coldel said:

You would want to check in with the bodyshop but I would imagine you want at least 4-6 weeks between spray and wrap as well?

Definetly! It's more working out the budget, either I have to spray the new kit parts in which case with the corrections to the existing car panels it seems like that would eat my whole budget or correct what's staying, prep the new parts to the minimum and then wrap the whole thing in a bit. which feels like only paying to tart up 1/2 the cars surface.

yes,no problem wrapping without respray BUT note what Dan said above and also what I can add is if you have a colour on the car and of course a different colour with the filler that will show up,just did mine and I can see differences,it may be the color of my wrap as well but worth remembering....

• 1 month later...

Ideally wrap material should be fitted to a surface with a glossy finish but depending on how matte or not it is, it can make a difference to the life of the wrap material.

Wrapping material like Arlon has a heavier adhesive and will stick to almost anything.

Some wrapping material comes with a grey or white back meaning the base colour wont bleed through. Printable wrapping material has a grey back to it but has a white face.

Black material will hide the base colour far better than say a white or yellow material. Hope this helps!

As Coldel said, If youre getting the panels prepped and sprayed you should wait until it has properly gassed out before applying the wrap. 

The bodyshop should be able to give you a guide on this.