clutch going to the floor

Spatt

First of all sorry if this is a repost, i'm pretty sure someone has had the same issue.

In this hot weather i've noticed the clutch starting to feel a little different. The resistance just isn't there and then finally this afternoon i noticed the pedal seemed to stick on the way back up.

I'm guessing its a hydraulic issue but i'm wondering what else i need to fix this (do i need a cable) also is there a guide??

much appreciated,

thanks

Matt

5 minutes ago, Spatt said:

First of all sorry if this is a repost, i'm pretty sure someone has had the same issue.

In this hot weather i've noticed the clutch starting to feel a little different. The resistance just isn't there and then finally this afternoon i noticed the pedal seemed to stick on the way back up.

I'm guessing its a hydraulic issue but i'm wondering what else i need to fix this (do i need a cable) also is there a guide??

much appreciated,

thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

As it is correlating with the hot weather, the problem is most likely just that you have old clutch fluid which is now boiling. I would recommend replacing the clutch fluid and hopefully the problem will go away completely. This happened to me when sitting in traffic in hot weather. The clutch pedal would drop to the floor with minimal resistance pushing it back up, with what felt like an inch of travel. Made it slightly difficult to drive off smoothly!

yes this is exactly right, considering a brand new clutch and fly have been fitted a few months ago i'm shocked the garage didn't think to change it as a "serviceable item"

are there any guides on the hydraulic flue change on here?

It'll be the slave or master cylinder, not the fluid. I know it's warm but it's not *that* warm! :lol: Same thing happened to mine when I was out in France one time, it got worse with the heat as it was the seal failing rather than the fluid.

Get the slave changed as a minimum, but tbh I'd always recommend doing the master as well as the biggest cost is the labour time is taken up with the bleeding, not the part cost. You could just do the slave and then find out the problem is with the master too, which is exactly what happened to me.

Agree with Ekona's verdict. I just did the slave cylinder and it has been fine since. If you plan to do it yourself do not let the system drain when you take off the slave cylinder like I did. Nip the flexible at the bottom. There are loads of examples on here and US sites of owners spending days to get the system bled. I ended up having to pumping fluid back  up through the slave cylinder whilst having a slow flow of fluid from the master so that there were no bubbles when connected the pipe to the master. Difficult to explain but requires infinite dexterity and patience. Never again.

Mine is starting to do this 9 months after having a genuine slave fitted along with a HEL braided line. I'm going to attempt a fluid bleed & see how it goes. Failing that, I'll fit the Stoptech slave I've got. If I get no joy with that I'll change the master.. Why, because why not:D.

sorry to jump in, Ive noticed a similar issue, 

This happend for me after installing new stillen headers, i think the excess heat is roasting the fluid, 

Is this something braided lines would sort or am i looking at a new slave/master cynlinder issue aswell ? 

thanks 

Karl 

Hi all,

thanks for the comments - where can i buy a slave and what fluid should i buy?

I found this great video online detailing how to change the slave i hope i'm ok to post the link (hopefully it might help others if you want to have a go yourself)

I bought a Stoptech uprated cylinder from either Torqen or Tarmac Sportz last month for around £42. I also bought a 500ml bottle of Motul RBF660 from ebay for about £15 inc delivery. I'm trying a flush & bleed with regular fluid first, if it continues I'll just swap the cylinder & use Motul.