Engine light, tcs and esp light on

Oliver350

Hi guys,

Just a quick one, I have seen a couple of other posts which have a similar sort of issue, maybe not quite the same so I thought I'd ask for advice.

Haven't driven my 350z in a couple of months due to working away from home. When I went to start it the battery was flat, so charged it for about 8 hours then drove it for about 40mins to 1hr which charged the battery fine. 

However, when I put my foot down on the drive home the engine light, esp and tcs light all came on and the car wouldn't pick up, foot to the floor and revs barely went up, couldn't get any speed. Got home ok, but slowly. hey restarted the car and it was fine, except the engine light stayed on. But was driving ok.

Then again today driving it fine and the same problem occurred! Turning it off and on "fixed" it temporarily. However engine light stays on. I've done the pedals to try and reset the engine light, did it about 10 times and I'm sure I got the timing right! Same issue.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

ps it's 2004, 80k miles, new clutch about 5k miles ago 

First of all, don't just reset the CEL, read the code and find out what the car thinks the problem is.

That said, sounds very much like it could be a battery issue, I'd get that tested and possibly look to replace if it's around the 5 year old mark.

^^^ could be that and as Dan mentioned, get a code reader to get the exact fault code. I had similar issue few years back, turns out to be throttle valve position sensor (if I remember correctly) when I get the code. It was a simple fix, all I do the pedal dance to reset ECU, re-learn throttle position, re-learn idle and everything seem fine until today.

Pedal dance and throttle valve reset procedure -->

You can still get the code without a reader, the blinks will determine your fault code -->

good luck

thanks guys, I'll shall investigate when I get home!

By the way my battery is likely bad, as I work abroad sometimes my car is left unused for a couple of weeks , so always need to recharge it when I need to use it.... 

ps are there any batteries that doesn't lose their charge after being left a few weeks? I don't know if this technology exists! Or do all batteries slowly drain if left for a bit

Newer batteries should recover quicker. The older the battery gets the longer it takes, or the worse its ability to hold a charge becomes. Problem is something always needs a bit of power, whether its your alarm, stereo or digital clock. When the battery is new its strong enough keep all this going without losing its ability to start. I left mine for over a month without starting and it was fine. When the battery gets old these things start to over power it when its not running. It gets worse in winter.