The Law on ripping music?

Zedrush

Not to be anal, If I buy a cd with songs on it, and I convert into mp3, I have two ipods, if I place the songs on both ipods, legally is that wrong? Wouldnt surprise me if it was :dry: Would I have to get permision or by two of the same cds and put it on each ipod :wacko: not that anyone could ever check but does raise questions the lines of ripping infringements :blush: i.e how many times can you duplicate a song that you purchased once, is it only illegal when you share with another person? Isnt that the same as ripping for free of the internet? :wacko: If its legal to duplicate song as many times after purchasing, then how can they justify suing people who download songs for free? I see why they do it, but not sure what law is exactly as seems to be very grey

My interpretation is that if I buy the song, in whatever format, I can then use that song in whatever device I own (unless its a public broadcast piece of equipment).

If that means I have the song on a cd in the house, my mp3 player and on mp3 cd for the car, then so be it - I can only listen to one at once right?

If the song is listened to on the mp3 player by my other half, at the sam time as Im out in the car listening to it, then I may be verging on illegal (in my book).

I suspect the industrys interpretation of it would be that you buy the song once in every format you want it in, i.e to acheive the above scenario - you buy it three times :dry:

It raises some interesting questions though, as I have a media server which has legally purchased software from Microsoft, and I can put my original CD in this server, it will copy the CD to the hard drive (again without the use of any software not legally available from Microsoft) and this album can then be listened to by myself on the media server, and can be accessed by another person on the xbox in the lounge, and by another person on the xbox in the bedroom. If I had a wireless Media extender I could also have it on in the garden too, all at the same time, using nothing but legaly purchased software and hardware, which is specifically designed to share media.

As I say, my opinion is that if I have the origional CD or original proof that I purchased the tracks, I can play them on anything I own at any time. Though I wouldnt be surprised if the industry took a different view.

My interpretation is that if I buy the song, in whatever format, I can then use that song in whatever device I own (unless its a public broadcast piece of equipment).

If that means I have the song on a cd in the house, my mp3 player and on mp3 cd for the car, then so be it - I can only listen to one at once right?

If the song is listened to on the mp3 player by my other half, at the sam time as Im out in the car listening to it, then I may be verging on illegal (in my book).

I suspect the industrys interpretation of it would be that you buy the song once in every format you want it in, i.e to acheive the above scenario - you buy it three times :dry:

It raises some interesting questions though, as I have a media server which has legally purchased software from Microsoft, and I can put my original CD in this server, it will copy the CD to the hard drive (again without the use of any software not legally available from Microsoft) and this album can then be listened to by myself on the media server, and can be accessed by another person on the xbox in the lounge, and by another person on the xbox in the bedroom. If I had a wireless Media extender I could also have it on in the garden too, all at the same time, using nothing but legaly purchased software and hardware, which is specifically designed to share media.

As I say, my opinion is that if I have the origional CD or original proof that I purchased the tracks, I can play them on anything I own at any time. Though I wouldnt be surprised if the industry took a different view.

Yeh tell me about it, how about the scenario that you sold your ipod to a mate and it had music on it, is that illegal? Not that i care either way but is interesting how the law works

Hmmm - if you sell the ipod with music on I would say that was illegal, if you have the music in any other format, i.e. on your mac/pc.

If you download the tunes direct from the internet onto your ipod (iphone?) and they are not present anywhere else, or accessible to you again without paying again, then that would be like selling your cd collection with your cd player, and perfectly legal I would think.

Any form of copying is deemed illegal unless it is for backup purposes.

However i am unsure about the legality over converting cd's to itunes etc as this is copying for a different source, which i think is legal as long as its for personal use.

However i am unsure about the legality over converting cd's to itunes etc as this is copying for a different source, which i think is legal as long as its for personal use.

guess need to clarify what is personal use, is keeping within the family personal use or a community who use it for personal use? or to oneself, and how is oneself measured under law? :wacko:

guess need to clarify what is personal use, is keeping within the family personal use or a community who use it for personal use? or to oneself, and how is oneself measured under law? :wacko:

Personal is just you :thumbs:

Jay - to be honest, who is going to care or investigate anyway?

They only investigate once you have been seen to do this on a LARGE scale

I know just interesting to see whats set in stone as it is such a grey scale, seeing any loopholes if caught

I know just interesting to see whats set in stone as it is such a grey scale, seeing any loopholes if caught

why do you plan to get caught? ;)

nope just gonna snitch on you and need to make sure you will definatly get done :p:lol:

nope just gonna snitch on you and need to make sure you will definatly get done :p:lol:

I dont pirate music mate, i get all mine from the labels ;):p

The law was fairly simple - any copying at all was illegal i.e. you could not buy a CD and rip it to your MP3 - you were paying for the license to own 1 copy. Now they have changed it - well they will be soon

Peter Jamieson, chairman of the British Phonographic Industry, said consumers would only be penalised if they made duplicates of songs for other people.

Currently anyone transferring music to portable devices breaks copyright laws.

The law was fairly simple - any copying at all was illegal i.e. you could not buy a CD and rip it to your MP3 - you were paying for the license to own 1 copy. Now they have changed it - well they will be soon

Peter Jamieson, chairman of the British Phonographic Industry, said consumers would only be penalised if they made duplicates of songs for other people.

Currently anyone transferring music to portable devices breaks copyright laws.

so basically anyone with an ipod is screwed :scare::dry: