Auto-dimming rear view mirror

n19erc

Just found something out and thought I'd share it if anyone's interested....

I wanted to swap my manual dimming interior mirror for an auto-dimming one so bought a Gentex one off Ebay. My manual dimming mirror had 3 cables going to it but I couldn't find out what they were for and didn't show up in the USA service manuals. Having looked on a number of forums I couldn't find anything. I assumed that they were something to do with one of the JDM systems

I swapped the mirror anyway which was an easy fix and instant improvement. I now also have a compass and external temperature reading showing on the mirror.

When I came to lock the doors I found out that the cables were from the sensor that picks up the signal from the keyfob. I've now cut the original mirror in half, taken out the small circuit board, wrapped it in insulating take and tucked it under the headlining - key fob now works again.

By manual dimming mirror, do you mean the standard unit?

Can you clarify this?

edit - just had a look at the eBay site and it makes it clear that these mirrors can replace the standard items on most cars, although some need an adaptor. Installation looks straightforward if you don't mind messing about with the headliner.

First off, the mirror mount on any Nissan is the same as the standard Gentex mirror mount so you don't need an adapter.

Once you unclip the plastic trim on the original mirror, you can push the mirror upwards to remove, leaving a small metal mirror mount stuck to the windscreen. To attach the Gentex mirror, slide the new mirror over the mirror mount and tighten screw to fasten into position.

Route cables along front edge of headlining. There is no need to do anything with the headlining. There is a gap where it meets the top of the windscreen. Just push the cable into the gap. Route the cable to the passenger side. Pull off internal trim down windscreen pillar in order to route cables down side of windscreen. Route cables under front of dashboard, connecting nagative cable to suitable eathing point and positive cable to red cable on auxiliary socket wiring.

If like me you get a mirror with tempeature sensor, the hard part of the install is to route cable to front of car, but you can get a cable through main grommit in bulkhead behind battery and attach temperature sensor to lower front grill.

Got a funny feeling that the UK models have the cable already in place, you just need to fish it out from in the headlining.

If you remove the dome lights you can get your fingers in to feel for it.

I think the guy that does the Blue LED light conversion on MY350Z.com has added his radar detector lights into the same type of unit, looks sweet!

Got a funny feeling that the UK models have the cable already in place, you just need to fish it out from in the headlining.

If you remove the dome lights you can get your fingers in to feel for it.

I think the guy that does the Blue LED light conversion on MY350Z.com has added his radar detector lights into the same type of unit, looks sweet!

That would be handy.

There is a permenant live that goes to the dome lights, so you could tap into there. Be carful with the wires, as the dome lights have a permenant live, permenant ground (switched on by you when you press the dome light) and a selective ground which is activated when you open the door. Its not a selective live, prememant live and permenant ground as I thought it would be. So read the service manual before tapping into the dome light wires ;)