Plastidip? any advice....

MrG13

So if you have seen my other posts my 350z is almost road worthy again and looking to do some big changes in the next few months, anyway....

Has anyone had their car completely done in plastidip or had it done for them,

advice I am looking for is first and foremost personal recommendations who anyone has used or has done it them selves,

(the packs to start can be as little as £500 and seems like every tom dick and harriet is looking to start their own company)

next is more to do with durability and then lastly how bad is it on your original paint work when it comes to removal,

I.E will i be paying for a full respray if its left on there for 12 months or more!

I am based in southwales and any reputible company is asking for the car for 2 days minimum with prices ranging from 400-2,000, I am fine with spending a weekend away savouring the local whisky and travelling is no problem as long as its in the uk as the tunnel is an extra £50 i would rather not spend unless i can fill my boot with cheap full for the return trip :lol: :lol:

cheers in advance!!

There was a member who did his rocket bunny zed on his driveway and for a temp job it looked good. In pics anyway lol

Been looking at the auto flex stuff which has a clear coat on top so gives a much better result and can be polished like paint. That's probably at the 2k end

dont suppose you have a key word or (even better) a link to that thread i can look at by any chance?

the 2k end of the spectrum seems to come from more fancy paint a good review history, but knowing the internet its not hard to falsify a review so hence the personal suggestions being the most important part B)

Hi,plastidip is ok but outdated now as there are better options like autoflex which is a glossy dip and this is from the same company

what I have done to my Zed is not plastidip or autoflex ...it is just a coat of grafitti artfx ,although I do have my kit of autoflex that I am planning to spray myself when I get the time

your paint will be protected by this stuff and shouldn't have any problem after removing it at a later date

check this guys out :

last time I checked they quoted me 1.8k for a job like this

• Like 1

If it's gonna cost 2k then I'd rather wrap it for that!

hmm...as far as I know wrap will not be as tidy as autoflex as this is a liquid spray and will be very neat around edges/corners
  • Like 1

If it's gonna cost 2k then I'd rather wrap it for that!

hmm...as far as I know wrap will not be as tidy as autoflex as this is a liquid spray and will be very neat around edges/corners

If its wrapped well it will be just as good if not better...ive used plastidip and found it to be quite fragile so id steer clear of that.

Not used autoflex but again id be a little dubious as to its durability. But the choice is yours of course!

• Like 1

You cant compare the two. Autoflex is more of a pro orientated product. You cant just spray it on, you need a proper spray booth and spraygun working at the correct psi...its not really a DIY product like plastidip. So, assuming its not a DIY product, youd expect it to be pretty good as its done by a pro sprayer. Its a type of 'paint job' really.

Id say wrapping is more convenient and if done well is just as good as long as a quality wrap is used and its fitted by a good wrapper.

Id be interested to see what sprayers make of it as it hasnt really been road tested yet as its only been around for a very short time.

Interesting product though.

• Like 1

Hi,plastidip is ok but outdated now as there are better options like autoflex which is a glossy dip and this is from the same company

what I have done to my Zed is not plastidip or autoflex ...it is just a coat of grafitti artfx ,although I do have my kit of autoflex that I am planning to spray myself when I get the time

your paint will be protected by this stuff and shouldn't have any problem after removing it at a later date

check this guys out :

last time I checked they quoted me 1.8k for a job like this

Do you know of anyone who has had this done as it looks really good but with that amount of gloss would be interesting to know the type of effort it needs for upkeep, I would assume you cant wax it and surely washing it constantly is going to have a dulling effect after a while... feel free to correct me though as it does have a very nice finish!

If its wrapped well it will be just as good if not better...ive used plastidip and found it to be quite fragile so id steer clear of that.

Not used autoflex but again id be a little dubious as to its durability. But the choice is yours of course!

When you say fragile what do you mean exactly? do you mean during application or more towards stone chips and such making it look horrific in a few weeks, I do a lot of dual carriage way and motorway driving so will be needing something quite durable, well that or something cheap and easy to fix, and if I can get the kit for 300 myself and then a decent compressor for less about the same then surely its a good investment and I would say easier to DIY than a wrap, (with inconsistencies in wrap quality and learning new techniques with each new colour and texture compared to just constantly improving your spraying technique with the same type of product)

also can anyone recommend a good place to plastidip or autoflex?! (country wide is fine as i stated before its a gd excuse to rack up some miles in the Zed and try some new roads :p )

I found plastidip marked quite easily so if youre doing a lot of motorway driving id not recommend this.

At the end of the day, motorway driving will affect all types of wrap, spray and autoflex unless you use PPF (paint protection film) over the top.

• Like 1

What happened to the other post with the facebook link?! I couldnt reply and now its missing lol! inbox me the details if its not cool to post fb links on the forum and it got removed possibly.....

I found plastidip marked quite easily so if youre doing a lot of motorway driving id not recommend this.

At the end of the day, motorway driving will affect all types of wrap, spray and autoflex unless you use PPF (paint protection film) over the top.

I will have to look into the PPF as haven't come across that at all so far, and I am expecting to have issues with the finish being hurt due to long hauls hence my concern of refurbs/touch ups and durability, have you had a bad experience personally with plastidip then Zippypooz as you seem quite set against it, or do you wrap cars yourself and know how good they are?

What happened to the other post with the facebook link?! I couldnt reply and now its missing lol! inbox me the details if its not cool to post fb links on the forum and it got removed possibly.....

I will have to look into the PPF as haven't come across that at all so far, and I am expecting to have issues with the finish being hurt due to long hauls hence my concern of refurbs/touch ups and durability, have you had a bad experience personally with plastidip then Zippypooz as you seem quite set against it, or do you wrap cars yourself and know how good they are?

I wrap cars yes, but tried it on parts of a car and was not durable enough for my liking, but thats just my personal opinion. Ive never used Autoflex though so cant really comment on that, i know of it but have never tried it! I do know its better than plastidip though! It has a long life too if applied correctly. But personally i'd not apply it myself...unless i owned a lesser car!!
  • Like 1

Got a company offering £500 for a matt wrap usin hexis, called skinz and based in newport, wales, u ever used this and do wraps normally come with sone sort of gaurentee as that seems awfully cheap!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thats way too cheap, dont touch it, plus i dont rate Hexis, stick to Avery Supreme. Up to 3 days to wrap it plus material costs...£500??? Na

The warranty is only as good as the wrapper that puts it on there. Avery has a life of about 10-15 years.

• Like 1

Thats way too cheap, dont touch it, plus i dont rate Hexis, stick to Avery Supreme. Up to 3 days to wrap it plus material costs...£500??? Na

The warranty is only as good as the wrapper that puts it on there. Avery has a life of about 10-15 years.

they told if I can get the car there at 9am then it could be done by 7-8pm as they have a good team and its a limited time offer at that price.... sound shady to you then is it?

to be honest its cheaper than any plastidip quote I have had! which is just plain mental....

• Like 1

I stand corrected he thought I ment plasitdip and not a wrap, still seems pretty cheap though in all fairness! but surely it wont be dry to drive within one day would it?!

it can be ready in one day...it depends how many layers he applies

plastidip is quite cheap anyway,anyone can do it, even on their driveway ,have a look at some of the youtube clips

Edited by valy

I stand corrected he thought I ment plasitdip and not a wrap, still seems pretty cheap though in all fairness! but surely it wont be dry to drive within one day would it?!

it can be ready in one day...it depends how many layers he applies

plastidip is quite cheap anyway,anyone can do it, even on their driveway ,have a look at some of the youtube clips

not to sure about drive way in windy wales to be honest! haha! but I have done a lot of youtube viewing and most say you need to clean the car thoroughly and leave to dry over night for best results, so a 20mile drive in the morning and then they start at 9am to be driving again at 8pm home I think it may not be the best thing but I am by no means a pro at this at all...

It depends what you want, id rather get mine wrapped than use PD. Up to you buddy. But if you wrap it, dont use Hexis. Avery supreme or 3M. Avery is better than 3M, easier to apply, glossier and less likely to fail, plus a long life.

• Like 1

It depends what you want, id rather get mine wrapped than use PD. Up to you buddy. But if you wrap it, dont use Hexis. Avery supreme or 3M. Avery is better than 3M, easier to apply, glossier and less likely to fail, plus a long life.

I've got a qoute to repair all the 'iffy' parts and then respray in oem with a few additions and fitment of the new bumper for £600

sooooooooooooooooooooo!

after some thought (pre-sunshine beers ;) )

I am going to do the repairs first, then next month as PD is sooo cheap and the base is good (so I don't have to worry about shoddy repairs) then I will try something new :D

you ever heard of plasti hurting paint work at all Zippooz or should I be fine in wasting 500 for a trail run lol!

Edited by MrG13