Where does the removed punctured wheel go?

Dicky

Plagued by afterthought.

So I've bought the 350z space saver fitted into the boot, bought the jack and extending wheel brace, modified the polystyrene storage thingy to fit the latter bits and trial fitted the space saver ......BUT.....didn't check to see if the removed 19" wheel would fit in the boot.

Can anyone who has gone this route please confirm that a removed 19" wheel will fit in the boot and allow the boot lid to close., it will save an old man even more work.

Thanks in anticipation!

• Like 1

Dicky, in the USA owners manual, where a space saver is always fitted, the redundant wheel goes behind the passenger seat when the seat is pushed fully forward.

Best to get a wheel cover that fits the rear wheels or just a big black bin liner to keep everything clean.

Rob

• Like 1

Just fit space savers all round plus one in the boot and your good to go :)

I just don't even bother carrying the space saver, dead weight to lug about. 100's of mobile tyre fitters out there now. Roadside puncture repair to get you by.

• Like 2

I just don't even bother carrying the space saver, dead weight to lug about. 100's of mobile tyre fitters out there now. Roadside puncture repair to get you by.

I've got a fully stripped out boot and find that it messes up the weight distribution and handling.

Jurassic Z

Never thought of that one Rob. It's my daughters car so I'm getting everything set up to cover all eventualities, hopefully she'll never have to use it. However that's sounds like a plan.

Willsy 1980

Ha ha some lateral thinking there me thinks.

I've got a fully stripped out boot and find that it messes up the weight distribution and handling.

Really ? That's quite strange as usually the space saver isn't included in the curb weight so shouldn't have any negative effect. The few lbs of plastic 'could' off set the weight a little but not to the extent you would notice a determent to the handling, not unless your right on the limit, which on public roads you won't be....

I find the biggest influence to be fuel load, the sweet spot seems to be 1/2 tank. However, I expect there are slight variations to this from Coupe to Roadster too.

• Like 1

Really ? That's quite strange as usually the space saver isn't included in the curb weight so shouldn't have any negative effect. The few lbs of plastic 'could' off set the weight a little but not to the extent you would notice a determent to the handling, not unless your right on the limit, which on public roads you won't be....

I find the biggest influence to be fuel load, the sweet spot seems to be 1/2 tank. However, I expect there are slight variations to this from Coupe to Roadster too.

Well it's a 350 coupe not a 370, but they have similar distributions (53:47, 54:46).

When I say stripped out boot, I'm talking everything, including boot weight and rear wiper.

By itself it probably doesn't make a noticeable difference, but combined with me being on the heavier side, usually running with 1/4 tank, having crappy tyres, and driving in a spirited fashion, it seems to add up to some exciting tail action.

• Like 1

And the crappy tyres! Don't forget the crappy tyres! Essential ingredient in arse out action.

After reading that Z article you posted in the twitchy moment thread, you start to realise just how much we TOTALLY screw up Nissan's good work on the car. As soon as you change the front bumper, or the W brace, or the rear bumper, you're negating DAYS AND DAYS of work in the wind tunnel by Nissan to make the car extra stable at speed. Food for thought reading that.

Edited by Aashenfox

Tyres make a big difference, but they have been a constant. I've had the same crappy tyres with and without the boot stripped and noticed a significant difference.

I think changes we make don't necessarily screw up Nissans work, but do waste it.

Yes, changing stuff might mess with the aero etc, but the negatives are (usually and hopefully) offset by a bunch of benefits from the upgrade carried out that Nissan have overlooked or not been able to implement due to constraints.

• Like 1

Tyres make a big difference, but they have been a constant. I've had the same crappy tyres with and without the boot stripped and noticed a significant difference.

I think changes we make don't necessarily screw up Nissans work, but do waste it.

Yes, changing stuff might mess with the aero etc, but the negatives are (usually and hopefully) offset by a bunch of benefits from the upgrade carried out that Nissan have overlooked or not been able to implement due to constraints.

Spot on, if your fitting the bumpers and spoilers etc from the Nismo kit then you can rest assured they will be better aero wise than the run of the mill production stuff.

If you start bolting on McRandom crap from China or something then yeah, expect to have crappy aero and a list of issues.

As for weight saving, all the positive sides you get will out do the negative 'lively back end' that said, that can mostly be dialed out with the geo anyway