eBay dispute. Resolved, but any comments welcome...

Aashenfox

It was unreasonable of the seller to charge 4x postage.

It was stupid of you to accept that. Then pay for it. Then expect anything back.

Your fault I'm afraid.

Seller was then in the wrong to actually combine the shipping, you having paid for separate shipping, but by then you'd already agreed to pay the extortionate amount for that. Your only ground here is that you didn't get the separate postage that you paid for; you don't have a leg to stand on, on the price of the postage at all.

• Like 1

It was unreasonable of the seller to charge 4x postage.

It was stupid of you to accept that. Then pay for it. Then expect anything back.

Your fault I'm afraid.

Seller was then in the wrong to actually combine the shipping, you having paid for separate shipping, but by then you'd already agreed to pay the extortionate amount for that. Your only ground here is that you didn't get the separate postage that you paid for; you don't have a leg to stand on, on the price of the postage at all.

That's a completely fair and accurate assessment. The whole result is he got a negative for being an ass, but kept my money. I learned something; don't expect everyone to be reasonable, which is easier to fall into than one might think, most people are very reasonable and that's been my experience the last few years over quite a few transactions. The dispute's resolved, he's got my money, but a negative. On the other hand. I've lost 15 quid, but feel like I didn't let him get away with it scot free. Everyone wins and everyone loses, a typical dispute really. Why can't people just respond to communications before it's too late? :)

Edited by Aashenfox

I agree with pretty much everyone on here. You might be pee'd off that in your opinion you over paid, however the goods were on sale for a price and you made a lower offer. The seller effectively declined and made an offer back to you which you accepted. It might be immoral to charge postage 4 times but he made it clear that he was going to do that and you accepted it and paid in full. Surely you can see this? We all can.

Yes, it's obvious that I can see that right from the start. I'm not complaining about it. Just sharing. :) I more wanted to discuss the balls on the guy to accuse me of exaction. I've said 5 times and in the title, it's resolved, I'm OK with the outcome but would have preferred to have paid reasonable delivery and avoided the whole thing, naturally. I got my parts, he got his money he prioritized over a customer's good experience, and that's that. I did expect a bit more sympathy though. :(:lol:

Edited by Aashenfox

I think its the way you told the story - in that you had done nothing wrong at all in this and it's all the sellers fault and he's a thieve. Had you said 'I think I messed up and by paying the seller I accepted terms that I didn't agree to' then people may have had sympathy as we all make mistakes.

Not taking sides either way the following observations are based on a lot of work related dealings with Eastern European countries.

1. E mails and messages do not translate well. I often edit mine several times before sending just to minimise any chance of them being misinterpreted or worse still offence taken.

2. They do not respond to said E mails or messages with quite the same sense of urgency that we do.

Not saying it's right or wrong, it can be very frustrating but after 20 years I've kind of got used to it.

I always word my messages as simply as possible and include Google translates which I know are somewhat hit and miss being in Greece myself and speaking the language, but you're absolutely right, that they tend to ignore something if they don't completely understand or aren't sure how to refuse. Language definitely didn't seem to be this guy's problem though, I think it's the first time i've heard a foreigner use the word exaction so appropriately! :)

I think its the way you told the story - in that you had done nothing wrong at all in this and it's all the sellers fault and he's a thieve. Had you said 'I think I messed up and by paying the seller I accepted terms that I didn't agree to' then people may have had sympathy as we all make mistakes.

You're right, my enthusiasm to impart my perceived injustice and apparent soap box stance in the OP was bound to give an impression which in hindsight isn't what I desired. Well noted.

• Like 1