Intermittent heater controls - anyone else had this?

iwanprice12

Recently noticed my heater controls have been playing up i.e blowing at full power/speed when the dial is turned to 'off' and vice versa.

Assuming that the 'ribbon' that controls the heater knobs/dials are damaged? Anyone else had this issue? Thought I'd ask before pulling the centre console apart! (Pain in the bum with aftermarket headunit and sat nav)

Thanks in advance,

Iwan

I may be able to provide a clue based on recent experience. In my car, the heater controls didn't work at all when I acquired it, and while I was in the process of changing them, I noticed the behaviour that if the car is turned on, but the connector not properly seated, Everything turns on full. Based on that and the fact that yours is randomly turning on full, I have to assume that you have a problem with the connector. It may simply need pushing in. There's a centre console removal guide in the DIYs on here I think, but if there isn't it's not hard to find on youtube, it's basically 4 screws and pull from the top toward you. If you need a replacement control set, hit up one of our breakers, Jon @ Emperor or ZMANALEX, I think I got mine for 14 quid from Jon.

• Like 2

I previously had a heater ECU with a damaged ribbon cable. It would randomly spin up at full blast or just stop entirely with all the lights out on the controls. I replaced it with a second hand unit from ZMANALEX.

In mine I just have to lift the gear gaiter trim out to get to the ribbon cable and heater ECU. From there its possible to remove it without dissembling the rest of the console.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok, so jumping on an old thread here, but my post is relevant (ish!)

Has anyone experienced LEDs failing on the heater controls, so that they don't light up correctly? I've replaced 4 or 5 of the surface-mount LEDs inside mine now (changed colour of a few - just because!) but it seems odd for quite so many of them to fail...

I've got 1 still out I think (which lights up the dial indicator - the bit that rotates) one one of them now but it looks a little bit more tricky to replace as it is at 90 degree's to the PCB.

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...