Is My Brake Caliper About To Fall Off?

BobbyZ

Hi guys,

As per below pic, it looks like a pin is becoming dislodged from the left rear caliper - it looks like there's a clip missing that should hold it in. How would this happen, how do I fix it and is it dangerous to drive like this?

Cheers

jpCe49G.jpg

Hammer it back in, then get a small clip to push through that tiny hole on the inside of the caliper (like the other pin you can see has). Driving as it is isn't an option as I suspect you're very close to losing the retaining clip, if that pops off you'll find the brake pads will want to move around in the caliper (although they won't fall out as the other pin is there), but pushing the pin back in should be safe enough to get you to a shop to buy the clip.

Any bit of metal you can push through will do, I've used hair clips before in an emergency.

Cheers Dan, I've pushed it back in for now. Could the retaining clip have broken or is the only explanation that it was left off?

I doubt you'll find that out, tbh though it's probably unlikely that it broke, but again not impossible.

Found a picture of the caliper assembly...

0996b43f80201e2b.jpg

You can see you're missing your R-clips but as Dan mentions for a quick fix any bit of metal you can push through will do for now (paper clip would be my go to). ;)