How to remove that "old car" smell?

galaxyg

Awesome as my 350Z is (aside from some minor mechanical faults), it does smell like a combination of old car and back-street garage, which seems to have permeated everything about it in it's 12 years of life. Is this reversible? I'd be happy with "neutral" which is what my other car, a 2008 Honda Accord, smells like (or rather, smells like nothing).

Air fresheners only mask it for a while. I'm looking for something more permanent. Where is this smell living? In the fabric trim?

Michael

Get a carpet cleaner with an attachment to do stairs and other narrow areas. Take the seats out and do it properly. Use laundry detergent capsules. Does the same job as expensive stuff. First go over all the carpets with a good stiff bristle brush to agitate it.

Use hot water. Like very hot, in all stages.

Keep going over the carpet with the nozzle attachment until you see all the water being sucked up has turned clear.

Dry the carpet with a towel and then a hairdryer.

Clean the seats very thoroughly with the carpet cleaner if cloth, or leather cleaner if leather. Treat it to a really good dose of leather conditioner and let it soak in over night.

Regards the headliner. Bit more difficult as it's above you and, you're gonna get wet! Patience and time with the brush and hit water.

Once the carpet is dry give it a good douse with fabric freshener. Don't bother with shake n vac. It's a nightmare to gt out of automotive carpet.

Take everything out of the boot. Wash the wheel well and the surrounding area with mild bleach solution and a face cloth. That you don't use. Clean the boot liner in the same way as the cockpit interior.

Spray dashboard cleaner inside the boot and wheel well and buff until it's not glossy and slippery.

Clean the door cards and doors, dashboard, etc with a good automotive spray cleaner of your choice.

Airfreshner.

Done.

• Like 1

Also, never use leather conditioner on "modern" leather (as in anything post-1995), it's all top coated so conditioner just sits on top trapping dirt and grit causing more problems than it could ever solve even if it did reach the leather.

Edited by ilogikal1

Also, never use leather conditioner on "modern" leather (as in anything post-1995), it's all top coated so conditioner just sits on top trapping dirt and grit causing more problems than it could ever solve even if it did reach the leather.

Worked wonders on my ST170 seats. Loved the end result.

Or just use Valet Pro Odour Enzyme Eater. Spray on all fabrics, leave to dry. Repeat if necessary. Job jobbed.

Kinda like febreezing dirty boxers but yeah!

Kinda like that, except it actually works. And removes the smell, which was the question.

Now if he wanted to clean the interior then your advice would almost be spot on, but people are lazy and I was just catering for them. :lol:

Worked wonders on my ST170 seats. Loved the end result.

Cheap Ford tat, what more can I say? ;)

Feel free to use it if you wish, but it's just an expensive way to harm your upholstery.

Get a carpet cleaner with an attachment to do stairs and other narrow areas. Take the seats out and do it properly. Use laundry detergent capsules. Does the same job as expensive stuff. First go over all the carpets with a good stiff bristle brush to agitate it.

Use hot water. Like very hot, in all stages.

Keep going over the carpet with the nozzle attachment until you see all the water being sucked up has turned clear.

Dry the carpet with a towel and then a hairdryer.

Clean the seats very thoroughly with the carpet cleaner if cloth, or leather cleaner if leather. Treat it to a really good dose of leather conditioner and let it soak in over night.

Regards the headliner. Bit more difficult as it's above you and, you're gonna get wet! Patience and time with the brush and hit water.

Once the carpet is dry give it a good douse with fabric freshener. Don't bother with shake n vac. It's a nightmare to gt out of automotive carpet.

Take everything out of the boot. Wash the wheel well and the surrounding area with mild bleach solution and a face cloth. That you don't use. Clean the boot liner in the same way as the cockpit interior.

Spray dashboard cleaner inside the boot and wheel well and buff until it's not glossy and slippery.

Clean the door cards and doors, dashboard, etc with a good automotive spray cleaner of your choice.

Airfreshner.

Done.

if you really want to get rid of the smellI would actually take the carpets out and clean them to allow you access to "what lies beneath". You may also find that removing some of the plastics will reveal sources of smells.

I once knew someone with an old caviller, and there was so much damp and mound in his car grass actually grew in the rear footwells . . he was so proud it started watering and trimming :lol:

• Like 1