New Purchase! Modified 350Z GT - scuffed carbon lip help?

reeceybeaney

Recently picked up a '54 plate 350Z GT, previously owned by a 58 year old enthusiast wanting to be taken back to his youth (I'm sure the car worked)! The car has been very well looked after: 4000 miles in the last 3 years and 3 services in that time. The car has been mildly modified (see signature), as a 19 year old this obviously appeals to me!

To get to the point, the car has a few areas which I want to get sorted cosmetically. The previous owner put a carbon lip on and within the first week cracked/scuffed it on a kerb (oh the pain!) Just wondered what people would do with this to try and fix/cover up the damage if possible?

Furthermore I noticed the car had a few spots of rust bubbling up (worrying). Is this a common thing with the Zeds? What have people done before and how much have they paid to rectify it?

Thanks in advance!

20161002_131227_zpskwsh7cxk.jpg

20161224_164008_zpsq43zw2ec.jpg

just started getting these on mine

garaged by previous owners - now street parked

tempted to pop it with a pin :)

I don't think I'll be doing that! I've been quoted £275 for someone to get rid of the rust and respray the panel. Car isn't on the road yet so will have to wait until April!

I don't think I'll be doing that! I've been quoted £275 for someone to get rid of the rust and respray the panel. Car isn't on the road yet so will have to wait until April!

That sounds about the same as I paid near enough to have mine done when I had my Zed but be warned the rust can come back. :(

Story pasted below from another thread rather than re-type it all again...

When I had my Zed it had a few small bubbles on the drivers side rear arch so I took it to a local body shop.

They quoted me for some other spray jobs at the same time (respray front bumper & roof) but I believe it worked out around £250-300 for the rear quarter (repair & blend in with side/rear bumper).

I had the work done and it looked great for all of about 2 weeks before bubbles started reappearing, ...understandably pi**ed off I went back and complained. They redid the work this time taking pictures along the way showing me everything that they did. On their second attempt at fixing it they cut out a fairly large triangle shape piece of metal, welded in a replacement piece of new metal, filled, smoothed, primed, base coat & lacquered.

That's how it should have been done in the first place I thought. It only lasted for about 6 months though before the rust bubbles started coming back again!! :rant:

In the end I left it as the bubbles were very minor & with selling the car on the horizon at the time I didn't fancy plowing any more money into it.

Not much help I know Adam but just more of a cautionary tale. If you are going to try & get it fixed I'd consider getting a proper pair of new rear quarters otherwise you may end up paying more money every 6 months or so just to repair the same problem again & again. :thumbdown:

Source: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/106817-rust-woes-advice-needed/

It's a very common area for the 350 Zed to get rust and can be a PITA to sort unfortunately but not impossible. Good luck. :thumbs:

That sounds about the same as I paid near enough to have mine done when I had my Zed but be warned the rust can come back. :(

When I had my Zed it had a few small bubbles on the drivers side rear arch so I took it to a local body shop.

They quoted me for some other spray jobs at the same time (respray front bumper & roof) but I believe it worked out around £250-300 for the rear quarter (repair & blend in with side/rear bumper).

I had the work done and it looked great for all of about 2 weeks before bubbles started reappearing, ...understandably pi**ed off I went back and complained. They redid the work this time taking pictures along the way showing me everything that they did. On their second attempt at fixing it they cut out a fairly large triangle shape piece of metal, welded in a replacement piece of new metal, filled, smoothed, primed, base coat & lacquered.

That's how it should have been done in the first place I thought. It only lasted for about 6 months though before the rust bubbles started coming back again!! :rant:

In the end I left it as the bubbles were very minor & with selling the car on the horizon at the time I didn't fancy plowing any more money into it.

Not much help I know Adam but just more of a cautionary tale. If you are going to try & get it fixed I'd consider getting a proper pair of new rear quarters otherwise you may end up paying more money every 6 months or so just to repair the same problem again & again. :thumbdown:

Source: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/106817-rust-woes-advice-needed/

It's a very common area for the 350 Zed to get rust and can be a PITA to sort unfortunately but not impossible. Good luck. :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully can get something sorted, I know a good guy who does a lot of work for Coopers BMW as he does all my dad's cars, so hopefully shouldn't have too much trouble!

Any other things I should look out for in the future?

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully can get something sorted, I know a good guy who does a lot of work for Coopers BMW as he does all my dad's cars, so hopefully shouldn't have too much trouble!

Any other things I should look out for in the future?

It's all on here if you have any problems or issues.

Generally I found the Zed to be a very reliable car when I had mine (even with a higher mileage supercharged Zed) providing they are looked after. Make sure you check your oil level regularly but that's a common sense thing to do imo with any car (as a fellow petrol head though I'm sure you already know that ;) ).

Service schedule here if you haven't seen it: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

Welcome along,

Looking at your pic and the brake caliper I'd be replacing the front wing for new Then you won't be wasting money if the rust pops back in another place on the wing.

I did think about getting a whole new wing, seems like the best way of solving the problem! Especially if people have had trouble with the rust spots coming back.

The Zeds is 67k miles which I didn't think was bad for a 12 year old car and it has been looked after, which was the main reason why I bought it! Especially as it was off an older bloke!:)

Source: http://www.350z-uk.c...-advice-needed/

Is this inevitable or are there any steps we should be taking to prevent it if we don't already have this issue?

I did think about getting a whole new wing, seems like the best way of solving the problem! Especially if people have had trouble with the rust spots coming back.

The Zeds is 67k miles which I didn't think was bad for a 12 year old car and it has been looked after, which was the main reason why I bought it! Especially as it was off an older bloke! :)

Have to be honest I didn't notice it was on your front wing as it's most common on the rear wings/inner arch which is where mine went. A new wing would be the best option but obviously the most expensive as well with a paint match being needed too.

Is this inevitable or are there any steps we should be taking to prevent it if we don't already have this issue?

I wouldn't say inevitable but it is very common especially with the Zeds getting older now.

Tbh I can't think of any steps that you could take to prevent it unless your Zed is a JDM which in some cases aren't undersealed. Making sure you clean the inside of the rear arches often to clean out any stuck mud etc which may hold moisture against the inside of the arch would be a good idea I'd say for one.

Just an idea.