Oil in plenum bolt hole

blindbandit

I can't see how that is coming from anywhere other than from the plenum chamber, there is no trace of oil leading to the bolt hole. Have you checked the bolts are tight ?. In any case I'd be having that plenum off and get the chamber checked and cleaned out, refit and torque down the bolts to the proper settings and keep an eye on it.

You haven't topped up the oil lately by any chance and perhaps spilled some and it's found its way into the bolt hole ?!?!

Edited by Irn Bru

The staining area looks quite big, and although i could understand getting capillary action from a crack, the inside of the plenum doesn't have an oil pooling area that could supply that much oil, and as i said if a crack opened with heat, the plenum vacuum would just suck all the oil inside.

Looks to me like the oil chamber in the lower plenum (which normally see oil from the pcv valve) is expelling oil up the bolt via the treads, then pooling on the top of the plenum.

Possibly the plenum itself hasn't been torqued down in the right sequence previously, leading to the centre sitting slightly proud and therefore the bolt not being able to tighten down correctly.

PS the bolts themselves on the inside, aren't exposed to vacuum.

Looks to me like the oil chamber in the lower plenum (which normally see oil from the pcv valve) is expelling oil up the bolt via the treads, then pooling on the top of the plenum.

Possibly the plenum itself hasn't been torqued down in the right sequence previously, leading to the centre sitting slightly proud and therefore the bolt not being able to tighten down correctly.

PS the bolts themselves on the inside, aren't exposed to vacuum.

Yes but if the bolt was not torqued down enough for oil to be getting into the drilling, there would also be a vacuum

Plus the oil in the plenum would also have to go uphill in order to be drawn into the drilling..

You can clearly see in this pic that the central posts are above the oil pooling area, and should this leak for whatever reason it would receive a vacuum all the time the engine is running, and at no time would there be any pressure, so if it was due to capillary action the oil would be sucked back as soon as the engine was running.

DSCF3214_zpszphkmjb4.jpg

Edited by Tricky-Ricky