Tinting Lights?

Strudul

My Zed had fly eye on the lights when I bought it, next day / night, out for a drive and fog decended rapidly, couldn't see a bloody thing and had to drive with my main beam on most of the way home, not one car flashed me to indicate I was dazzling them. Tore it all off next morning. My opinion... don't do it, at least not during winter months, fine for summer and long days, but not for winter driving.

Isn't using your main / high beam the worst thing you can do (and illegal)? Light will just be reflected back by the fog.

• Like 1

My Zed had fly eye on the lights when I bought it, next day / night, out for a drive and fog decended rapidly, couldn't see a bloody thing and had to drive with my main beam on most of the way home, not one car flashed me to indicate I was dazzling them. Tore it all off next morning. My opinion... don't do it, at least not during winter months, fine for summer and long days, but not for winter driving.

Isn't using your main / high beam the worst thing you can do (and illegal)? Light will just be reflected back by the fog.

Generally yes, but the fly eye made the light so weak it didn't reflect back as it would normally. Tinted lights during winter months is IMHO not a bright thing to do, pun intended lol

• Like 1

Generally yes, but the fly eye made the light so weak it didn't reflect back as it would normally. Tinted lights during winter months is IMHO not a bright thing to do, pun intended lol

Might wait for spring at least before I do it then.

Could you say for sure that you wouldn't have faced the same problem even with no tint (from the fog being so bad)?

Could you say for sure that you wouldn't have faced the same problem even with no tint (from the fog being so bad)?

Yes...... definately makes a huge difference driving in fog with tinted headlights, the visibility is horrendously bad. Have driven in fog since then and had no problem with just the main beam on.

Even when driving at night and clear weather your lighting is hugely reduced, compared to oem lighting, honestly, leave it for the summer months mate.

• Like 1

Yes...... definately makes a huge difference driving in fog with tinted headlights, the visibility is horrendously bad. Have driven in fog since then and had no problem with just the main beam on.

Even when driving at night and clear weather your lighting is hugely reduced, compared to oem lighting, honestly, leave it for the summer months mate.

Hope you mean dipped :thumbs:

Yeah dipped......side lights, main beam, high beam, my terminology at least lol

Ah, in that case you were using the right lights in your initial comment. You're supposed to use your dipped lights in fog (alongside fog lights if you've got them).

My understanding is that the generally accepted terms are full / main / high beam and low / dipped beam.

Edited by Strudul

Front fogs are absolutely useless in anything other than proper pea soup can't see more than 2ft ahead of the car type fog. Then you'd be travelling at about 10mph and be on side lights to stop the light reflecting back at you.

I hate front fogs. I also hate Ford for making their vehicles FORCE you to put the front fogs on just to have the rears on: The rears can be used a few times in the winter, but I've only ever needed front fogs once in 16 years of driving.

I agree, it should be side/dipped/main. I would also accept parking for side, and full for main.

As an owner who put fly eye kit on their DE zed as mentioned before, it does have a very noticeable and detrimental effect to what you can see ahead of you. It looked cool on my black stealth zed but I ripped it all off as winter came in purely for my own safety as I could barely see 10 yards in front of me. Any ebay seller sticking claims around it reducing by 5% or the like is quite frankly talking utter crap and just sticking on the ad as part of the overall sales pitch.

Personally, I wouldn't put it on if you are using the car over winter after 4pm - now you can either believe the corporate ebay seller who just wants your money about the light reduction levels or believe people that have been there and done it, and are concerned about your safety. Its up to you.

• Like 2

Yeah, I understand where you guys are coming from.

Thing is I feel like I'd have no issues even if my headlights were reduced by 50%, but I guess it's hard to imagine without actually experiencing it.

Anyway, as I said in the OP, I'm mainly planning to do the tail lights, with headlights only being a possibility (which I guess we will scrap for now).

As tail lights just need to be visible, not light up the road, I guess there's much less of an issue with tinting them? Surely even with tints you can see them a mile off?

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

I used to have a classic motorbike, no lovely 12volt system, it was 6v and the rear brake light was as bright as burning cigarette, the tinted rear lights on my 350 could be seen without issue, go for a light smoke film, you will have no trouble, will try and get a photo up later so you can see the effect. Hope that helps.