Faulty starter motor?

mr v6

This happened on Wednesday but disregarded it till it happened again today.

Clutch pedal to the floor & key in the cranking position, I heard a series of clicks from the engine bay. Keeping the key in the crank position it then fired up.

Is there any known issues or can this be put down to a sticky starter motor?

Thanks both,

I tested the battery in work with a Midtronics EXP-800 & it tested fine with 580CCA. Gauge shows bang on 12v with ignition on. The auto electrical place near work quoted £70 to refurb the unit if I drop it off & would be a 3 hour turn around. I'll check the starter connections today if I get chance. Battery terminals are fine & crud free :) .

• Like 1

I'm going to hold off on replacing the starter for now as I've read it could be the clutch interlock switch on the clutch pedal. Odd thing just happened I'd like a bit of help on though, just been out to the shops, started fine, but noticed on the way back the digital time clock was showing 2.49, whereas when I went out it was showing 7.30, also the range in which the REV light flashes had reset to 6600rpm. This also happened on Saturday morning when it didn't fire up straight away.

Any ideas :wacko: ?

• 2 weeks later...

This happened again this morning, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Ignition on, gauge reading 12v & pump priming, went to crank & heard a couple of clicks from the engine bay then all the instrument panel / dash lights went out. I turned the ignition off, then back on & no lights at all, not even the courtesy lights on the roof, no pump priming either. Check the battery posts with a multimeter & it was reading 12.38v from being stood for 13 hours overnight, I left the drivers door open. I wiggled the positive battery connection a little & heard a series of clicks & the lights came on. It was just cranking for a moment till I tried it again then it started right up.

I've not had chance to look at it as I needed to get to work, so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) it's just a dirty terminal & needs tightening.

I'm going to hold off on replacing the starter for now as I've read it could be the clutch interlock switch on the clutch pedal. Odd thing just happened I'd like a bit of help on though, just been out to the shops, started fine, but noticed on the way back the digital time clock was showing 2.49, whereas when I went out it was showing 7.30, also the range in which the REV light flashes had reset to 6600rpm. This also happened on Saturday morning when it didn't fire up straight away.

Any ideas :wacko: ?

It's just the solenoid not making the full journey in the starter motor. If it happens again and doesn't start just get a screw driver and hammer, and give it a few light wacks to jolt it, and it should be fine for a while. It's probably the beginning of the end of it though. probably due to not getting enough amps. Corrosion inside and what not. Edited by Rock_Steady

I understand what you're saying, but for nothing to operate once the ignition is switched back is very weird, so if that was an issue I should still get all other things working. Only a wiggle of the wiring got it all working. I cleaned up the terminals earlier & they weren't too bad. The positive terminal wasn't fully seated at the base of the battery & was moving upwards as I was tightening it. The battery has obviously been changed because the retaining strap over the top & bar that goes down to the base were all very loose. I initially suspected it may have been the wrong battery with wrong posts?

Just to keep this topic updated in case anyone else starts having a similar issue. I had the charging system tested today whilst I had more time, loading the battery up with the car running etc. All was fine if a little low on power. The tech at work looked & said it could be draining a little power with it not being fully seated.

I got home & noticed the battery was free to move around a lot, the front bar & top strap were there but the small J hook for the rear was missing, hence it moving around. I removed the battery & tray & the rear fitting was just lying there. Once it was all back in secured properly I went at the terminals with some emery paper, connected up the negative & snugged it down, then the positive. I used a large socket & gently tapped it down to it's fully seated position & tightened it up snug. It doesn't seem to be moving now so only time will tell I guess.