Outdoor lights

Randy_Baton

I am not a sparky however I have the annual task of sorting out 800 external low voltage lights every Xmas.

I run each set of 200 via independent transformers.

I would probably avoid tapping into the outside light as your transformer "if required) would be outside.

If it was me I would probably hook my transformer up to an inside socket and run some low voltage wires to your fairy lights, providing they are not a hundred miles away.

Please do not sue me if you electrocute yourself. :lol:

The lights inside a fairly big case, so I'm not to worried about the connection being outside. I just wasn't sure how to actually wire it in. I was hoping there might be some form of bayonet adapter, but apparently they are illegal.

I'm only talking a couple of meters of lights. Your probably right though, I should see if the back doors got enough room to fit some wires under it so I can plug it into the socket by the door.

The lights inside a fairly big case, so I'm not to worried about the connection being outside. I just wasn't sure how to actually wire it in. I was hoping there might be some form of bayonet adapter, but apparently they are illegal.

I'm only talking a couple of meters of lights. Your probably right though, I should see if the back doors got enough room to fit some wires under it so I can plug it into the socket by the door.

If the lights are 12V and running from a transformer the wire will be very thin. It will probably pass through the seal of a door or window, I would pick one that is not going to be used since opening and closing will probably break the wire after a while - if it does break then no drama's, it is only 12V. The transformers are usually cheap and nasty and not suitable to be located outside. Don't go bodging your outside light, not worth the risk.