Traction Control

YHTM

Just had my new wheels fitted. Volks GT-Vs Fronts 19 - 8.5 - +23, rears 19 - 9 - +24 offset. Pirelli tyres. My traction control keeps cutting in, most often when cornering or accelerating (not madly!) through roundabouts, long corners etc. First noticed as going round a large roundabout and lost power for a few seconds - wondered what the hell was going on until noticed the TC light on. Got fed up with it and turn it off now.

Anyone experienced something similar or can explain?

Just had my new wheels fitted. Volks GT-Vs Fronts 19 - 8.5 - +23, rears 19 - 9 - +24 offset. Pirelli tyres. My traction control keeps cutting in, most often when cornering or accelerating (not madly!) through roundabouts, long corners etc. First noticed as going round a large roundabout and lost power for a few seconds - wondered what the hell was going on until noticed the TC light on. Got fed up with it and turn it off now.

Anyone experienced something similar or can explain?

Brand new tyres need wearing in a bit - could be that. Now....

:worthless:

Yeah they are brand new. Scrubbing in - doesn't sound too technical - just drive it presumably!!??

Did try the F1 warm-up lap weaving about but the tram driver behind got a bit stressed!!

Pictures will be up shortly - just need to clean the car first!

Would tyre scrubbing, or lack of it, really affect the traction control???

I would guess that its probably something to do with the difference in rolling circumference of the wheels differing from standard. The TC system possibly thinks the wheels are moving at too different a rate, hence cutting in.

Or I could be talking BOL10X :S

Yeah they are brand new. Scrubbing in - doesn't sound too technical - just drive it presumably!!??

Did try the F1 warm-up lap weaving about but the tram driver behind got a bit stressed!!

Pictures will be up shortly - just need to clean the car first!

You may not even need 100 miles to scrub them in. Find a car park or the like, ESP off, opposite lock and bury the throttle :D

Would tyre scrubbing, or lack of it, really affect the traction control???

I would guess that its probably something to do with the difference in rolling circumference of the wheels differing from standard. The TC system possibly thinks the wheels are moving at too different a rate, hence cutting in.

Or I could be talking BOL10X :S

what i was thinking.

How can you tell the rolling circumfirence has changed when he hasn't posted his tyre dimensions? I changed up to 19's with zero problems.

I would of thought that as long as his tyres are 19/245/35 and 19/275 or 285/35 then its highly likely that its just the new tyres :D

Friend who owns tyre shop I use - from your !!!! that's shite advice????

Well, the standard 19 inch size is 245/35 and 275/35 although I had 285/35 on the rears with no problems.

It would worry me that you have different aspect ratio's on the front and back and that the widths are sooo close eg 245 & 255...............Based on that info I would think that the tyre dimesions are your problem :blush:

I gave him the wheel dimensions - he put the info into his wholesalers website and that is what came up. Any tyre websites I can use to prove that they are wrong? Might be hard to prove they are the cause of the problem?

What are your wheel sizes?

I gave him the wheel dimensions - he put the info into his wholesalers website and that is what came up. Any tyre websites I can use to prove that they are wrong? Might be hard to prove they are the cause of the problem?

I think that is the problem. normal aspect ratio's are 18inch 45 height. since you have gone 19inch...it is best you use 35 height. however the problem here is not that...the problem is that you are using different aspect ratio's for front and back!!! 40 in front and 35 at the rear both on 19inch rims....at any given speed, the wheels in front and rear will rotate at different speeds to each other...that will throw off the TC no doubt. I suggest you test drive a matching 40 or 35 tyre to keep the height equal and see if the TC goes off again.... I am pretty confident that is the problem.

Thanks

Bobby

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

Use that to calculate the difference between the stock wheel rolling radius and yours.

Sticking in the numbers (Sarnies standard for 19")

275/35 vs 255/35 - 2% difference

245/35 vs 245/40 - 3.75% difference

The bigger difference gives rolling radius that appears to be quite far from standard, and I think that will be your problem :) You need to check with someone more knowledgable what acceptable changes are though.

Remember this is all ratio's of sizes to widths. You cant just say all 45/35 whatever will be right. With wider wheels you will have a lower profile as to get the same sidewall hight and thus rolling radius you need less of the width as a percentage. :thumbs: