Traction Control

YHTM

Well maybe the 'scrubbing in' theory is correct as traction control hasn't cut in at all for the last two days.

Interesting reading about the tyre sizes - my understanding is that the front and rear wheels operate entirely separately so as long as they are paired correctly it shouldn't matter? Or is that too simplistic?

Well maybe the 'scrubbing in' theory is correct as traction control hasn't cut in at all for the last two days.

Interesting reading about the tyre sizes - my understanding is that the front and rear wheels operate entirely separately so as long as they are paired correctly it shouldn't matter? Or is that too simplistic?

How do you mean 'paired correctly'?

Think he means same tyre on a single axle as in both fronts should match.

Think he means same tyre on a single axle as in both fronts should match.

If thats what he means then yeah they do need to be paired correctly, but the dimensions on the front also need to correlate to whats on the back. You can't just stick 225/45/18's on the front and then 305/55/19's on the rear etc :headhurt:

Well having said that there have been no problems I have just returned from a 20 mile trip with the TC cutting in loads again. Seems to be after coming out of a corner at no great speed and putting power on, again no way excessively. Light was flashing for about 10 seconds with reduced drive as I was going in a straight line at about 30mph.

I did mean front pair and rear pair being the same. I dont understand why being different could cause Tc problems - dragsters don't seem to have a problem with traction and their front and rear pair couldn't be much more different?!!

Well having said that there have been no problems I have just returned from a 20 mile trip with the TC cutting in loads again. Seems to be after coming out of a corner at no great speed and putting power on, again no way excessively. Light was flashing for about 10 seconds with reduced drive as I was going in a straight line at about 30mph.

I did mean front pair and rear pair being the same. I dont understand why being different could cause Tc problems - dragsters don't seem to have a problem with traction and their front and rear pair couldn't be much more different?!!

But a drag car will probably be set up to run the size of tyres it does. The zed is set up to run under specific parameters. First of all its recommended to run the same aspect ratio eg 45 or 35 etc front and back. The width of the tyres are supposed to be within a certain percentage of each other too eg 225 front and 245 rear or 245 front and 275 rear etc.

I don't know the exact science to it like others on here but the principles sound. (I think :lol: )

The ESP is constanlty measuring the levels of grip and cutting in accordingly. When the dimesions are out the ESP can't figure it out so it goes a bit mental. Different tyres dimensions front and back and different grip levels will throw the ESP light.

Basically, you need tyres 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear to keep the ESP within the parameters its expecting.

:thumbs:

Your zed will be struggling at the moment due to the tyres and also the icy roads we have at the moment. You could tootl around at 25 mph and the ESP won't come on but as soon as you try to floor it............. :wacko:

But a drag car will probably be set up to run the size of tyres it does. The zed is set up to run under specific parameters. First of all its recommended to run the same aspect ratio eg 45 or 35 etc front and back. The width of the tyres are supposed to be within a certain percentage of each other too eg 225 front and 245 rear or 245 front and 275 rear etc.

I don't know the exact science to it like others on here but the principles sound. (I think :lol: )

The ESP is constanlty measuring the levels of grip and cutting in accordingly. When the dimesions are out the ESP can't figure it out so it goes a bit mental. Different tyres dimensions front and back and different grip levels will throw the ESP light.

Basically, you need tyres 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear to keep the ESP within the parameters its expecting.

:thumbs:

Your zed will be struggling at the moment due to the tyres and also the icy roads we have at the moment. You could tootl around at 25 mph and the ESP won't come on but as soon as you try to floor it............. :wacko:

Why do you need to keep the profile the same front and rear? All the car cares about is the rolling radius of the tyres. It thinks it has a certain radius on the tyre and if one seems to spin faster than the other, TC will cut in. As long as the rolling radius of the new and old tyre is nearly the same, TC wont notice the difference whether the new is a lower profile than the old. :headhurt: