Boxing, any other lovers of the gentleman's sport?

Aashenfox

So! I'm a bit of a closet boxing fan, I spend a lot of time watching boxing, old and new on youtube.

I'm no aficionado, but I loves me a good bout of fisticuffs, as long as it's someone else on the receiving end, lol.

So yeh, after a pretty poor decade in the sport, it's having a bit of a revival in the last few years, some exciting fighters and lots to discuss!

So let's start with the two big current talking points...

1) Was Kovalev robbed? And...

2a) Does Nicholas Walters have enough head movement not to get brutally outpointed or knocked out by Lomachenko, or

2b) Can Lomachenko's largely untested chin handle a full strength Walters hook on the inside?

On 1) I haven't actually seen the full fight yet, so I can't comment, but from what it sounds like, if you're a technician, you might go for Ward, as the judges did, but if you're a fighter, you'll think Kovalev because of his moving forward pressure style. What it comes down to for most people is the fact that in a close round, traditionally you give it to the champ, as the challenger's job is to TAKE the belt from the champ, and if you can't do that, you don't deserve it. On this premise alone many would say that Kovalev got robbed. I'll fill in after I've had a good look at the whole fight.

On 2) I really don't know. A puncher always has a puncher's chance, and Walters is a puncher, and Lomachenko's chin is as stated, largely untested. There's no doubt who is the better boxer, but will that be enough? I'm going for Lomachenko.

Additional late 2016 talking points... Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua? I want to believe that Joshua is the next Lennox, he's certainly no Ali though, sadly. I still think he can take Wilder.

Please no MMA talk in here. That is NOT the gentleman's sport. Cheers ;)

• Like 1

Growing up in the era of Eubank, Ben, Tyson etc, I am afraid I find todays boxing a little lack lustre, there were some proper battles back then, probably not helped by the pay per view on anything half sensible these days. I guess you could say I am not an enthusiast, but dont feel drawn to watch these days.

• Like 1

Growing up in the era of Eubank, Ben, Tyson etc, I am afraid I find todays boxing a little lack lustre, there were some proper battles back then, probably not helped by the pay per view on anything half sensible these days. I guess you could say I am not an enthusiast, but dont feel drawn to watch these days.

This^ I also grew up watching Eubank, Ben, Tyson, Bruno, Riddick Bowe, Holyfield. Barry McGuigen ( or however you spell his name ) Maybe it's just my nostalgic memories of the fights but they seemed to be a bit more exciting. I never found boxers such as Hatten all that inspiring to watch. Prince Naseem was always great to watch. So **** sure of himself and produced great fights. There doesn't seem to be that same sort of rivalry these days. Edited by Rock_Steady

I hear you guys, that was my generation too, I'm 39. I was the same for a long time, boxing was rubbish for a long time, but recently it's picked up a lot, give it a chance. There ain't much hugging going on these days. Gayweather didn't help the sport with a boxing style the equivalent of Italian football, but there are loads of other great fighters now and the next 10 years has the potential to be glory days again.

OK, there aren't enough decent heavyweights, I'll give you that, but in the other divisions, stuff is kicking off.

Sipar69, there was a fight in 2005 that surpassed Hagler Hearns for me, Castillo Corrales I. What a fight.

You should all watch Lomachenko vs Walters at the end of the month, it's going to be a goody.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

Alright, I saw the Ward Kovalev fight now. I made it a draw. So yeh, I guess Kovalev was a bit robbed, mainly because, as said, and I do believe in this...as the challenger you have to take the belt, you shouldn't be able to run and hide your way to a points win. In any case, I can also see why the judges were in unanimous agreement that Ward won it, it's not a mystery, Those saying it was a terrible robbery are kinda over the top. Was it totally fair? Perhaps not. Was it one of the worst decisions in recent times? No way, not even close.

Lomachenko vs Walters was ok but not the match we had hoped for. Lomachenko gave him even more of a boxing lesson than anticipated, and Walters curiously retired in the 7th despite not being that badly beaten up at that point (no doubt it would have got worse for him, smart to save a few brain cells, Lomachenko would have slowly beaten him up the longer the fight went), still, win of that nature not great for Lomachenko's career, and a loss of that type not great for Walters either, despite both boxers fighting ok. Lomachenko was on fire, but he just didn't seem to be hurting Walters that much. Hey ho, like I say we'd hoped for better but it wasn't to be.