Anybody gone from 200sx (s14a) to 370z?

Cray Z

I currently own a 200sx s14a 290bhp and 300lbft of torque (Stage 2a)

Love the car to bits, but now feeling the urge to get a 370z! More specifically a brand new Nismo track edition.

Has anybody here moved from a 200sx to a 370z and if so, what are your thoughts?

the only real concerns i have with regard to the z are:

• Road tax is 500 quid,
  • Its a dedicated 2 seater,
  • Don't know much about how good the engine is (tuneable? strong like the SR20?)
  • Not sure how insurance costs will compare with the 200sx!
  • Its about 250kg heavier than the 200sx. - So with 65bhp more that what i have now (200sx-286bhp, 370z-349) and 24lbft less (200sx-300Lbft, 370z-276lbft), will i be disappointed?

Had a 350Z, driven 370Z and Nismo 370, was chairman of SX Owners club until recently :)

Road tax is £10 a week rather than £5 a week, big deal and I dont know how many times you used your rear seats for people with actual legs but I bet it wasnt many :lol:

Engine is very good ........ for an N/A, tuning to get any sort of reasonable gain requires forced induction and youre looking at least £5K+

Insurance Id imagine will be similar, bigger weight you will definitely notice and Id wager the S14 will actually be quicker though the handling on the 370 is literally 20 years ahead.

Bottom line - 370 is more refined, more comfortable, handles better and will feel a lot more special to drive. It wont be faster, youll struggle to get more power out of it and its going to cost a bit more than an S14 does ;)

• Like 1

The main thing I found moving from the 200 was the difference in power delivery - moving from a turbo where the power kicks in and rises quickly in mid range, to an NA where you need to wind it right up the rev range - was a weird transition and it nearly made me go and find another 200 to tune up!

However, I had the 370 for a year now and, while I miss to 200's mid-range kick in the kidneys, the absolute power of the 370 even in standard tune is addictive to wind up and let loose!

As above, the 370 is more refined and comfortable - and won't give you the off-the-shelf tune-ability the 200 has - but you will appreciate it once you get it going.

Insurance for me is about the same as the 200 - I was and still am with Sky.

:) Draco

• Like 1

Had a 350Z, driven 370Z and Nismo 370, was chairman of SX Owners club until recently :)

Road tax is £10 a week rather than £5 a week, big deal and I dont know how many times you used your rear seats for people with actual legs but I bet it wasnt many :lol:

Engine is very good ........ for an N/A, tuning to get any sort of reasonable gain requires forced induction and youre looking at least £5K+

Insurance Id imagine will be similar, bigger weight you will definitely notice and Id wager the S14 will actually be quicker though the handling on the 370 is literally 20 years ahead.

Bottom line - 370 is more refined, more comfortable, handles better and will feel a lot more special to drive. It wont be faster, youll struggle to get more power out of it and its going to cost a bit more than an S14 does ;)

Hey Doc, didn't know u were the chairman at SXOC! I remember seeing your blue 350 at wills when he did the wide Arch kit on it, looked very nice!

See the problem is I have a mr2 roadster as a daily, and the 200sx as a weekend toy now. So I get the wind the vvti buzz and handling out of the mr2 and get the kick up the 4rse with the 200sx. So I have the best of both, just not in one car.

I thought there was more power to be had from the 370?

What's the low down torque like?

I am trying to book a test drive with nissan in a 370z nismo but there aren't many around.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The main thing I found moving from the 200 was the difference in power delivery - moving from a turbo where the power kicks in and rises quickly in mid range, to an NA where you need to wind it right up the rev range - was a weird transition and it nearly made me go and find another 200 to tune up!

However, I had the 370 for a year now and, while I miss to 200's mid-range kick in the kidneys, the absolute power of the 370 even in standard tune is addictive to wind up and let loose!

As above, the 370 is more refined and comfortable - and won't give you the off-the-shelf tune-ability the 200 has - but you will appreciate it once you get it going.

Insurance for me is about the same as the 200 - I was and still am with Sky.

:) Draco

Hey Draco,

As above really, I like the MR2 but it needs a turbo! But then we are talking 148bhp lol but saying that it's in a 950kg car.

I guess the test drive will be the proof in the pud.

The original plan was to turbo the mr2 for which I have most of the parts now.

However the deal I am getting on the 370 and the mere looks of the thing are drawing me in!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mad, I also have an MR2 roadster but tend to only use it as a track toy these days, I know what you mean though, they are awesome B road cars.

Low down torque is as good as anything N/A, its one of the engines trump cards IMO, but I dont know that youll get the buzz from the 370 that you do from an S body, its a different kind of drive, more GT than mad jap coupe style. Put it this way, when I was 21 the 200SX was awesome, when I got to 30 the 350Z was awesome, now Im 35 (and a bit) Im rocking a BMW which ...... ahhh, y'know :lol:

Best bet - go drive one, Id advise a HR 350Z for comparison purposes as well. If youre looking for the mad bastard antics of the S14 then you might be better off looking for something with a turbo though :)

I have a 350z hr so not massively different to a 370z.

Before the 350 I had an s14a running about 330bhp in full fast road/track setup.

The 350 is slower and obviously you don't get that savage kick in the back at 3000rpm. But what it does do well is cover distance very effortlessly and the HR variant loves to rev. I've had mine remapped by mark at abbey. It pulls hard all the way to near on 8000rpm. The 200 was a kick in the arse from about 3000 to about 5500 then it's all over.

Having done trackdays in both the 200 and 350 without a doubt the 350 is the better handling car with very few handling modifications.

I would say for day to day use and the odd trackday the 350/370z does it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so i test drove the 370z Nismo on the weekend.

My initial thoughts:

For: Looks amazing, handles like its on rails, salesman told me handling is far superior to the GT, bose sound system amazing, low down torque throughout rev range no matter what gear, synchro rev feature pretty cool, and tech pack included, sounds awesome!

Against: Ugly plastic dash, lack of boot/glovebox.

Conclusion, i am getting one :D

• Like 1