Camera Lens

Rish

Need some help. Planning on getting a decent zoom lens to augment the (pretty shitty) 18-55 lens that came with my 350D. What would be a decent one to get?

I mostly take landscape pics, but would also like to use this lens for taking pics at trackdays etc.

Im prob asking too soon as I dont plan to buy one atleast until July, but getting lots of info cant be a bad thing, can it?

Also, would it be cheaper to buy the lens in the US?

I have the 400d which also came with the 18-55. It's not such a bad lens but I'm also looking to upgrade.

I'm currently looking at the EF-S 17-85 but it's not cheap and a EF-S 55-250 for the long range stuff. It's not too expensive.

Landscapes are my thing too so I might look at a wide angle lens but it's new territory to me. I'll be talking with a few mates that are photographers before I buy that one.

Not much help am I. :thumbs:

Need some help. Planning on getting a decent zoom lens to augment the (pretty shitty) 18-55 lens that came with my 350D. What would be a decent one to get?

I mostly take landscape pics, but would also like to use this lens for taking pics at trackdays etc.

Im prob asking too soon as I dont plan to buy one atleast until July, but getting lots of info cant be a bad thing, can it?

Also, would it be cheaper to buy the lens in the US?

yep I have the Canon 350 and the lens is a bit crappy.., but I dont fancy spending £000's on something that isnt up to the mark either :dry:

Have a browse on dpreviews forum and see whats out there. I got a second hand Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS off ebay for a hundred quid or so which was a bargin. You need to be carful of not just going and buying a range you fancy, as you can get lenses that look impressive and cover nearly all ranges but it doesnt mean they are any good. Usually the less difference between the zoom range, the better the quality will be unless you are paying mega bucks for the lense.

Really to replace the kit lense and have zoom, you need two lenses, on in the wide angle range (15-70mm) and one zoom (70-300mm). My GF parents have an all in one type (25-200) and the quality of the pics is appauling for a 350D. You also need to decide if you want Image Stabilisation. For anything over 200mm, especially for motorsport I would recommend one. I currently use a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which is held in very high regard and has excellent IQ for a non "pro" lense.

Best to get reading on dpreview and see what the current lense to have is when you decide on the length of lense you want :thumbs:

Theres also nothing wrong with the kit lense, so long as you realise its limitations. Wide open shooting (low light) is poor, as is shooting at its zoom limit. Keep it a decent light and not at the limit of zoom and you should get decent shots :)

Oh, also forgot to mention, dont forget you dont have to have EF-S lenses. Just beacuse they are designed for digi cam sensors, doesnt mean you cant use older EF lenses. Just remember the crop factor of the 1.5x sensor (i.e. if you have an EF 18mm its really 27mm eqivelant because of the sensor crop). You can get some top quality older lenses that wipe the floor with new ones and arent half the price :thumbs:

Its hard to tell what to get but with my 20D I got a 70-200 f4 for distance shots and since an L then quick enough for motorsports.

For landscape then use a canon 10-22 and a 50 f1.4 for fixed indoors works.

If buying again would get the 70-200 f2.8 or 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L

Compared to the absolute sh1t and bullying i have seen on the other channel, that post is help.:yahoo:

Yeap

but this is still the best place to find info and advice irrespective of what you want, motor related or not.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11976 :p

Lol! Guess your refering to www.350z-uk.com guess I am not under any opinion which one is better or worse,

Compared to the absolute sh1t and bullying i have seen on the other channel, that post is help.:yahoo:

Yeap

but this is still the best place to find info and advice irrespective of what you want, motor related or not.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11976 :p

Lol! Guess your refering to www.350z-uk.com guess I am not under any opinion which one is better or worse,

I agree Mark...Likewise for me too...and I know that there are more members who do the same..... nice to see the ldifferent levels of enthusiasm in all matters Z!!!!

But ill tell you one thing...Ian can give you some serious advise on your lens choices and usage...and if you are not happy with Satsuma's advise..im sure he will refer you to other people that are more well informed.

Bobby