laytonanthony Pin Warning..Very Concerned

Dicky

Just bought a 370 and read laytonanthony's 2015 Pinned report (at top of General forum) about gaskets potentionally blowing on VQ37 engines, hence causing massive damage (still need to get my head around this a bit more).

It would seem the problem is almost invisible to the average driver and the only pre warning is a slight fall in the oil pressure.

Now my 370 doesnt have an oil pressure gauge so I was wondering what others have done to counter this threat.??

Dicky, some of our forum traders will do an oil pressure check as part of a service. This would give you an indication of any potential issues.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'll see if I can get that done but thinking the only sure way is to change the gaskets, but it sounds as if it could be expensive. I was wondering if most members had gone for fitting an oil pressure gauge and keeping an eye on things or biting the bullet and changing the gaskets. Don't fancy sitting outside doing that job just now!!

They have the potential to cause damage but its more likely to cause running issues first so you'll know something is wrong

If you have a pre 2012 model which have these issues they also can suffer from higher oil temperatures so the easiest way would be to fit a oil pressure sensor into the sandwich plate for an oil cooler and kill two birds with one stone

Alternatively you can fit a T piece onto the factory oil temp sensor and connect a gauge to that but i wouldn't recommend that as the alloy of the engine is easily damaged and simply removing the stock sensor can strip the threads

As for the gauge you will probably be stuck with a universal pillar mount , I was considering fitting a gauge under the bonnet as all you really need is a check on idle every now and then

• Like 2

FYI......just had a price from Falcon Performance of £661 to replace these gaskets, which include new oil, filter and coolant and takes 2 days.

Currently waiting for Tarmac and the local stealer to come back with prices.

Interesting that Nissan didn't fit oil pressure gauge in the 370 when the 350 had one !

Probably have the 350z HR to thank for that , for Nissan its better to sell engines at £13500 a time than just replace the gaskets

To be fair temperature is far more of an issue than pressure on the 370z

• Like 1

Interesting that Nissan didn't fit oil pressure gauge in the 370 when the 350 had one !

Probably have the 350z HR to thank for that , for Nissan its better to sell engines at £13500 a time than just replace the gaskets

To be fair temperature is far more of an issue than pressure on the 370z

Why do you say that temp is more of an issue on the 370 Rich?

I'm not used to an oil temp gauge and can't understand what benifit it gives.

With regard to this gasket problem I wouldn't have thought the temp would rise much until the cams etc where getting very dry and by that time the damage is done

09-12 370z's run quite high temps when driven hard and/or on track , if the temps go above about 130 degrees the car will go into a restricted performance mode until the temps drop.

The gasket issue doesn't have any relation to the temps

As mentioned due to the way the timing operates on the 370s the timing is affected by the oil pressure , that's why the symptoms are often poor running at idle

Imo the issue is when not if , so I'd budget to get it done anyway rather than worry about it , once the new gaskets are fitted you dont have to worry

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/108292-oil-gallery-gasket-repair-350z-hr-and-370z/

• Like 2

Does anyone have any idea exactly what causes these gaskets to go. Is it ....

general ageing

Revving the engine too high when the engine and oil are cold

High oil temperature following a track day or long journey

Voodoo

Other?

Does anyone have any idea exactly what causes these gaskets to go. Is it ....

general ageing

Revving the engine too high when the engine and oil are cold

High oil temperature following a track day or long journey

Voodoo

Other?

Because they are nffp or @*!#

Edited by nissanman312