Back to a Zed

richparks

Hi All,

I've just purchased a 2009 370 GT Edition, I previously owned a 350z before moving to an E92 M3 and then a 320d (don't ask).

I had a quick few questions as I always have when getting into a new car and you start to hear all kinds of different noises.

The most pressing concern I have are the noises at low speed - when pulling in and out of the drive etc there is a kind of scraping, but it doesn't look like anything is anywhere near actually scraping the floor.

The second is at idle and low revs there is a lot of rattling coming from the exhaust it sounds like and tends to go away when under harder acceleration - unless I just can't hear it over the engine!

I've done a few searches and heard a few rattle problems but all seems to be when at 4k revs plus.

My first guess would be something is slightly loose and when the exhaust is cold its rattling more than usual and at the low speed i can hear it more clearly + sound bounce back from the side of my house on the drive.

The scraping thing I have no idea what it is - is this a common problem?

Might just take the car to Horsham, get a service and a general check over for peace of mind..

Thanks,

No idea bout the scraping, but whereabouts on the exhaust is the rattling coming from? If it's towards the front/middle then it could be the heat shields on the cats rusting off? Happened to mine, so it would rattle at low RPM. I used some jubilee clips to secure it on, until I save the funds to get HFCs.

• Like 1

No idea bout the scraping, but whereabouts on the exhaust is the rattling coming from? If it's towards the front/middle then it could be the heat shields on the cats rusting off? Happened to mine, so it would rattle at low RPM. I used some jubilee clips to secure it on, until I save the funds to get HFCs.

Yeah I think it's about the middle - it's actually worse than I first though after driving it yesterday it's louder than the exhaust half the time and it sound like I'm driving a completely broken car

I've noticed that in cold weather the factory Bridgestone front tyres have a tendency to 'crab' on tight turning, making a low frequency noise I can only describe as 'crumping' :) Does this sound like the sound you're getting?

Yeah that's horrible

Can't wait to wear mine out and get some decent rubber on them

Yeah it's when i turn sharply or go over a small driveway curb (1 inch) makes a noise but also I can feel it through the steering wheel as if I've hit something.

The banging in the middle seems to be a lot better once it's warmed up, it's horrendous on a cold start - hoping it's just something needs tightening

It will be a GT not a GT Edition . the noise could be a cat or heat shield rattling , H-Dev should be able to sort it for you they keep stocks of used Cats and once on the ramps I'm sure the other issues will become apparent