New w brace

Zpmc

Got to say I've never had a problem with Hammerite smooth which I've used on all my classics over the years, I think the problem as mentioned is the preparation and if you paint it over rust which I know is what it's designed for but not ideal.

I restored a 1961 TR4 over 26 years ago and everything, including the separate chassis and body was sandblasted to bare metal, treated with 3 coats of Hammerite primer and then 5 coats of Smoothrite ( thinned and sprayed on ).

Admittedly the car has had an easy life but the underneath is as good as the day it was done with the odd clean and re-paint under the wheel arches, nothing flaking off and the finish is rock hard.

I've done the underneath of my Zed with Smoothrite but treating any surface rust with Bilt Hambers Hydrate 80 which is the ideal preparation if you cannot remove all the rust. removed my W brace and applied the treatment, primer and smoothrite.

Obviously the one on here was a lost cause and replacement was the only option.

• Like 2

This is the experience of several forums' worth of Land Rover owners. There are FAR better products out there. I would never dream of putting onto a restoration! All that time and effort when (imo of course) you could have used a much better product that will last an awful lot longer.

BH Hydrate is great stuff.

I did a nut and bolt rebuild of my Landy 5ish years ago and went for the galv route instead, much better :D