Rush jobs :(

B16

So I had the dash centre section out today to give it a freshen up. Went and got some high build primer, gloss black paint and some clear coat after reading a few threads on here and got to work.

Taking the pods and heating controls out and I didn't have a soldering iron so just took a Stanley blade under the melted plastic tabs on the pods to free them up, gave em a gentle wiggle and got them out fine.

Sanded it back a little with some 400 and then 1500 grit to get rid of a few of the more visible scuffs on the plastic but so it kept its texture and rubbed it down with some thinners. So far so good.

Got my primer on, did 3 coats ( used basically the whole can) and let it dry patiently. Still all good.

Got my first two layers of base coat on and it was looking lovely and glossy, no runs or paint reactions so I was chuffed although I could still slightly see a few of the deeper scratches.

This is when I thought it would it be a good idea to lay the final basecoat on a bit thicker in the hopes that it would cover some more of these marks. Bad move. Went too think now I've got a £2 coin size run down the passenger side. Doh.

Atleast it's only my passengers that have to look at it 🤔 lesson learnt thought I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half a bodge but itll work is to lacquer it then resand lightly and start gain.

The lacquer will fill the scratches and give you a flatter surface to work with.

To be honest if youre not using a good 2k lacquer out of a gun youll never get a bodyshop finish.

Basecoat wont fill as said above but for example when you scotch up a panel to get a key youre putting scratches in it. The lacquer then fills them so depending on the depth of the scratch and the quality of your lacquer wetcoat they will dissapear.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the feed back guys! Got it all back together and in the car and it doesn't look too bad, much better than the scratched plastic anyway!

I think I'm gunna see how it wears, if it shows to be fairly durable I'll rub it back and try and get a better finish, and if not I'll definitely look into getting it hydrodipped!

I did use a high build primer but not too experienced with painting although I'd love to learn, and would love some proper painting gear. The fear of messing up and wasting time/money is what puts my off though, I'll get a picture in the morning when there's some natural light as iPhone flash does no favours 😸

• Like 1

b27505bafbf20c346eda72b7230fac70.jpg

Few scratches still visible but not regretting doing it for the relative ease and small cost, although it has left a funny smell in the cabin 🤔😂