Handbrake Mod

Strudul

Hoping to get an idea of how viable this would be and if anyone has an idea of the best way to go about it.

So, I saw these...

PIVOT-Samurai-Sword-Type-Drifting-Drift-Hydraulic-Handbrake-Lever-color-RED-BLACK-PURPLE-TK-B99009.jpg

...and the child inside thought they looked pretty cool.

However, I don't want to replace my handbrake with a hydraulic one. So the plan is to just mod the stock handbrake.

I've had a think about potential ways to do it and had a look through the sparse amount of handbrake mod threads.

From what I can make out, it looks like the easiest way would be to just make a "cover" that goes over the top of the handbrake by hollowing out a wooden handle (from a katana / hammer). I'd than have a metal rod running down inside so I can still use the release button.

E.g.

Put one of these on the handle (to protect it and get a good fit so it won't slip off):

s-l1600.jpg

Then put my katana cover over the top and attach it (with glue?) to the silicone cover, like so:

5aaf0836f12cf2ec5cf8aba980439828.png

(Notch at the end so the rod doesn't fall out).

With an end product looking something like:

c46a292869bd98f53ca94c5251dfe5de.png

Maybe with a gaiter on it too.

So, thoughts / advice?

Cheers

~Strudul

Only issue I can foresee is when the handbrake is off during normal driving, where is going to be positioned?

Normally the lever sits in a little recess in the centre console. With the Katana on the end being significantly longer I dont see how the handbrake would then be fully off. Unless you adjust the angle of it so it sits higher when its on and doesnt reach the centre console when off but then I can foresee the other issue of the placement being pretty much behind the gearstick when its in 1st or 2nd gear. The extended length may then be in the way of the gearstick.

Edited by Erni902
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies...

I did consider that, however my Z is in for repairs atm, so I can't test it myself and it's surprisingly hard to find pictures with the handbrake off.

I think the handbrake doesn't go far enough down to the point it would hit the centre console (depending on the thickness of the handle). Though coldel makes a good point about the tsuba (hand guard, or "circular part at the base"), so I may have to forgo that bit.

Also, katana handles tend to have a slight curve to them, so If I have the curve going upwards, it will give me more room.

Basing that assumption off this image, which looks like a released handbrake to me:

41112d1187386001-drift-knob-installation-img_1209.jpg

As for clashing with the gearstick, I think even in 1st / 2nd, the handbrake will be offset far enough to the side and maybe not even be long enough to cause an issue.

Edited by Strudul

Really like the idea of this. Looking forward to lots of pics if you decide to give it a try =)

Stupid questions, whats the blue on the end of the handbrake? Is it so you can lift/release the handbrake easily without it locking up?

Really like the idea of this. Looking forward to lots of pics if you decide to give it a try =)

Stupid questions, whats the blue on the end of the handbrake? Is it so you can lift/release the handbrake easily without it locking up?

Itching to do something and can't wait to get my Z back.

The blue thing is a spin turn knob or "drift button". When you have it installed the handbrake won't lock when you pull it up, allowing you to just yank it to do mad skidz. You don't have to hold the button, so when you let go it'll just drop back down. In order to lock it in place (for parking etc), you push the knob out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to making some progress with this, though not anything exciting.

Did some measuring, and it looks like I should have enough room to avoid any issues with clipping the centre console / gear stick.

My main concern would be the extra length of the gear stick causing it to be inconvenient to use and not strong enough when pulled on.

deVx8wT.jpg

(Gear stick is fully down)

gbvfdJT.jpg

(Gearstick is in 2nd)

Why not make a Katana gear lever?

You can buy them for £30-40, but I think it will get in the way and be inconvenient. I've watched

and it just
- the extra length is a problem and you have to kinda grab it from the side and push it around, whereas with a normal knob I just rest my hand on top, tilt it, and push.

That being said a samurai should carry at least 2 swords, so I can always do both.

I like the roll of paper and a biro idea.

It's all I had on me at the time :p

Why?...just why would you ruin your interior for that?

That's why I don't wanna do any permanent changes, but instead make it something that I can slide on / off.

...I can imagine my missus saying .." and how old are you" ...and that feeling sat in traffic when you know people are staring at the Z ..& then they see that monstrosity ..really??

Deep down they are actually just envious.