TV box recommendations

Vlad

Ah, it looks like that's the one I've actually got anyway :lol: Ah well, not to worry.

Haha so is it not good?

May be worth upgrading to 4K box? I believe it has rj45 port and a bit more meatier. Reviews suggests that it supports 4K streaming over wifi without any problems. So I guess for normal and HD use it will be spot on.

No chance wifi can support full bitrate 4K, it struggles with 1080p. Theoretical limits on wifi are great, but in the real world it just won't cope. For Netflix-quality 4K though, it's probably fine. 4K is a very short lived fad, HDR offers far more benefits for a much lower cost for content producers, and a higher quality product for the end user too. But I digress, that's another rant for another day :D

My ATV4 box is just about the best multimedia box I've used, but obviously you pay top dollar for it and it has limitations when you're trying to run hooky software/access pirate streams. For Plex and Netflix though, it's superb.

I ordered a multimedia (Himedia Q10 Pro) box a while back, that was supposed to do everything, and ran Kodi and another system, but i found Kodi a PITA, and it also didn't run all the multi channel audio i wanted so it went back.

Exactly my issues too! No proper multi-channel audio makes it a very poor solution for people who have even a low-end surround setup.

Well, I'm only going by reviews online. It's on Internet, so must be true :lol:

It has Ethernet connection, so can be plugged straight into your router if wifi doesn't cope (baring in mind people have decent broadband, not dial up :lol: )

Ah, it looks like that's the one I've actually got anyway :lol: Ah well, not to worry.

Haha so is it not good?

May be worth upgrading to 4K box? I believe it has rj45 port and a bit more meatier. Reviews suggests that it supports 4K streaming over wifi without any problems. So I guess for normal and HD use it will be spot on.

No chance wifi can support full bitrate 4K, it struggles with 1080p. Theoretical limits on wifi are great, but in the real world it just won't cope. For Netflix-quality 4K though, it's probably fine. 4K is a very short lived fad, HDR offers far more benefits for a much lower cost for content producers, and a higher quality product for the end user too. But I digress, that's another rant for another day :D

My ATV4 box is just about the best multimedia box I've used, but obviously you pay top dollar for it and it has limitations when you're trying to run hooky software/access pirate streams. For Plex and Netflix though, it's superb.

I ordered a multimedia (Himedia Q10 Pro) box a while back, that was supposed to do everything, and ran Kodi and another system, but i found Kodi a PITA, and it also didn't run all the multi channel audio i wanted so it went back.

Exactly my issues too! No proper multi-channel audio makes it a very poor solution for people who have even a low-end surround setup.

Not sure i would agree over the Netflx 4K and HDR, before i reverted to my current 4K TV a 2015 model i was supplied the current top model which was capable of Netflix with HDR, and it coped very well but i wouldent class HDR as the ultimate IMO there is not a vast difference in colour rendition with a decent 10 bit panel,

Same goes for streamed HDR content stored on a NAS over wifi, however i have yet to see any HDR from a UHD disc spinner, so i may have to retract my words if its vastly better. ;)

I was looking for a multimedia box solution to supplying my TV and surround system with most codecs/decoders for bot video and audio from both network and internal storage, which included both 3D and 4K, at 50 and 60Hz, which as far as the Himedia Q10 Pro was concerned it managed most but not all video, needed to use Kodi for some and internal system for others, which proved to be a complete pain in practice, and still wouldent deal with a lot of the HD multi channel audio, as i wanted to change my amp to an Dolby Atmos model.

And its not like i didn't do my research, but i guess if your not prepared to pay in excess of 1K or more on a media box, you just wont get what you want.

• Like 1

Got a Roku 3 recently, Sky box now in the garage.

Is it not just another Freeview player, can you get all the Sky Sport, Sky movies, etc as you can on Kodi ?.

I believe you can get all the Sky stuff you want via NowTV on the Roku. It all works via internet streaming, no aerial/sat input at all. I'm using FilmonTV app (free) to get all UK freeview channels.

But mainly uses for Netflix, iPlayer, Spotify. 1080p stuff streams fine over Wifi and normal copper wire broadband.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1