Clicking from the back of the engine

SeeNoWeevil

Could be a dicky gasket then, but unlijely and wouldn't think you'd hear from above the engine bay. Are you able to pinpoint the source?

I'm on my own at the moment so it's kinda difficult to blip and listen but it's very obviously from around the back of the engine. The PSSHT isn't normal induction noise for a Zed I take it?

It is if you have an aftermarket style intake! Otherwise sounds like air escaping from somewhere as it's being sucked in, and the clicking noise is probably air escaping in time with the engine turning over. Could be the gasket between the upper and lower plenum. Check all your hoses and jubilee clips and see if you can track down the clicking noise

If you're on high mileage then it possible that the timing chain tensioners have extended far enough to cause a noise/knocking whilst idling. I think a few folks have now gotten to the point of replacing the chain.

Not sure what what to advise on the fuel dampener though.

The engines always do make a fair bit of noise, is there another 350z owner in your area? If not go and look at a couple of 350z's on garage forecourts and see what they sound like.

Yeah, the garage that looked at it had the stethescope on it and said it was definitely internal, camshaft area, passenger bank.

• 2 weeks later...

At a real loss with this. Car is being looked at but no one can find the issue. It took quite a while to replicate it, sounds normal most of the time.

Only happens when hot, but not always.

Can restart the engine and the noise is gone

Noise sounds to be coming from the front cylinder (check with stethoscope)

Plugs checked

Cylinders checked with borescope

Conrod bearing seems ok

No fault codes

Disabling injector on cylinders in turn on passenger bank, noise doesn't stop

No damage to camshaft or valve followers

Valve clearances are perfect

Clutch in doesn't change the noise but loading up the engine against the handbrake makes the noise dissipate

Flywheel looks ok

Fuel Damper changed

Timing chain tensioner is going to be checked next.

Edited by SeeNoWeevil

Following. Mine sounds like this after a real good run. Tuning shop recently hqd it was fine as they are noisy engines, but they did suggest injector tick

I'm getting absolutely nowhere with it and almost everything has been examined. I'm told the engine is in excellent condition and the symptoms/inspections don't point to any major internal damage, but we can't find the source of the noise. The only remaining things to check are the VVT solenoids.

I'm not sure I can tolerate the uncertainty over the condition of the engine/car personally.