Mishimoto fans - 2 questions.

mr v6

Got this fancy piece of kit installed after work, had to do it from above as a few of the bolts on the undertray were pretty rusty. How have you guys (and girls nowadays B) ) managed with the excess wiring? I managed to cable tie a bit of it around the fan shroud, but the rest I cable tied to the ARB as I didn't want it flapping about & coming in contact with the belts.

Also, my Z has always run at normal operating temperature as the needle has been just below the halfway mark. This is still the case, but now I can hear the fans operate whereas before I couldn't. I'm guessing that's because a: one of mine was failing & b: the OEM fans are much quieter in operation.

Heaters are all fine & giving loads of heat. I did around 40 miles after work so it's properly bled. The overflow tank, do I have this right, I thought it was to catch any excess coolant that the radiator doesn't need, so I refill via the radiator? Or should I have refilled the overflow tank? If it's the latter, how does the coolant go uphill to the radiator?

Refill via the expansion tank, not the rad. It works in an identical way to the tank you have on a central heating system, it's pumped round and any excess is pushed back into it. The tank is higher than the rad, look at the top level fill mark ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried these. I assume these have the 3 speeds?

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00DZRNK0M

Haven't tried them and I would also like to know, so I have asked a question on them on Amazon. See what people / seller has to say :) .

With a bit of luck mine are being delivered this week and will get fitted Monday. So I will report back with any issues my mechanic has fitting them. If you do buy them check which postage you have. I opted for standard, which said 3rd Nov to 8th Nov, but stadrad is supposed to be 2 - 3 days. But when they were dispatched the orders page stated they will be delivered on the 8th! B******s. So went on Amazon chat thing and was assured they would be delivered before then. "WE will see" as myt old dear says.

I put some Mishimotos on this summer and could not put up with the noise (particularly an issue at slow speed and in traffic - which is pretty much the only time they come on...) - so I went back to "refurbished" OEM fans instead. Much quieter.

Edited by johnnyboy

Cheers guys. So where does everyone else fix / tie or clip the excess wiring to?

Bit confused... I didn't really have any wiring spare..... Unless... Have you kept the two (unequal length) wires that plug into the loom, run around the OEM cowl and go into the back of the standard fans? - I took these off with the OEM fans / Cowl and plugged the Mishimoto wires straight into the two sockets on the loom. (Making sure I got them the right way round :) ...). Is this the difference?

I positioned the Mishimoto wires straight across the back of the fans (rather than running them round the Mishimoto cowl) and put a couple of wire ties onto the plastic bars across the back of the fans (the wires are not exactly heavy and it didn't seem to block a lot of air...).

Edited by johnnyboy

And another thing :) ... do NOT throw away the old fans and cowl (like I did...).

Not only in case you want to go back to OEM (like I did :blush: ....). Somebody on here will want them - any sort of front end damage will require a new cowl and the cost at least £50 from a breakers (and there are few about...). The fans will go to somebody who wants to refurbish a pair without taking their car off the road while they refurbish their own.

Edited by johnnyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys. So where does everyone else fix / tie or clip the excess wiring to?

Bit confused... I didn't really have any wiring spare..... Unless... Have you kept the two (unequal length) wires that plug into the loom, run around the OEM cowl and go into the back of the standard fans? - I took these off with the OEM fans / Cowl and plugged the Mishimoto wires straight into the two sockets on the loom. (Making sure I got them the right way round :) ...). Is this the difference?

I positioned the Mishimoto wires straight across the back of the fans (rather than running them round the Mishimoto cowl) and put a couple of wire ties onto the plastic bars across the back of the fans (the wires are not exactly heavy and it didn't seem to block a lot of air...).

I was surprised at how much I seemed to have. I just bundled it together & cable tied it to the ARB as there was that much of it, probably a few feet or more, there was simply nowhere to put it.

By the way, I found that NRF kit on the Mister Auto shop on ebay for around £135 before I bought the MM setup. As for the noise, the odd time it comes on I really don't mind it, at least you know they're working.