Db limits

Jetpilot

And because of that, fewer and fewer people can enjoy track driving and you run the very real risk of it being banned altogether. Given that as an alternative, it's incredibly self defeating to run loud on track unless racing.

108dB is utterly insane volume wise. That is deafening levels without ear protection.

Not excessively, no they're not. They do have that 'bark' though that really kicks the levels up, and of course because all drivers want a comfy cosseted car they have to make the exhaust louder so that the tone cuts through all the sound deadening these days.

the first thing id do before upgrading anything else on a car is check that it comfortably meets noise regs.

But you cant check until your out there, there are too many variables, wind direction, positioning of mics, distance from track, i knew i would be close for the static so did everything i could bar design and build a new exhaust and managed to loose 3db from my Combe reading, at that point its cost you "x" to find out. The trouble is they dont even mention drive bys, all they say is (as i know you are aware), your car must meet the noise requirements of the track which are, static test performed at half and meter at 45 degrees at whatever decibel reading.

Its just all very ambiguous, i have no idea why there isnt a lets say, an industry std, so we can all get our cars sorted and surely it would just make it easier for everyone concerned, tracks, organisers, even the complaining nimbys.

granted, you can't check drive by very easily. but most tracks will happily static noise test a car for you, and then if you're comfortably below the static limit then you'd be exceedingly unlucky to trouble the drive bys. But if you're right on the static limit you've got to expect problems with drive by also.

but anywhos, once bitten, twice shy. now you know there are problems, you'll be more cautious in the future right? Javelin trackdays I lnow list both static and drive by limits for all trackdays, and most circuits will have extensive documentation on their noise management policy - Goodwood for example publishes a daily noise log every half hour because its that important to be seen complying to regulations otherwise venues will be shut down or severely restricted.

Sorry but thats just not accurate, I was comfortably below the static where as my mate was on the limit and had no issues, a static test bears no relation to under load. But yes, once bitten etc and will endeavour to configure something that works, trust me though I dont actually enjoy or want my car loud, a 4 cylinder isnt exactly pleasant like a nice v6, v8, but this is kind of the point, my car isnt "loud" and if some std cars are struggling I just think its excessive.

Yeah i would like to see the nimbys try and shut goodwood down and watch the value of their homes plummet and the area be void of any significant interest and income.

Sorry but thats just not accurate, I was comfortably below the static where as my mate was on the limit and had no issues, a static test bears no relation to under load. But yes, once bitten etc and will endeavour to configure something that works, trust me though I dont actually enjoy or want my car loud, a 4 cylinder isnt exactly pleasant like a nice v6, v8, but this is kind of the point, my car isnt "loud" and if some std cars are struggling I just think its excessive.

Yeah i would like to see the nimbys try and shut goodwood down and watch the value of their homes plummet and the area be void of any significant interest and income.

hmmm in that case I can sympathise - that would be incredibly frustrating to comfortably pass static and then be pulled up on driveby.

And yeah, have to be careful otherwise goodwood will go the way of Thruxton and Brands hatch GP - Very limited noisy days each year, which will be taken up by race meetings.

This is a difficult one......

I go to Goodwood often and the GTR passes the static test easily, but I have been black flagged at 104db. One of the guys I track with is a Goodwood local and the main issue is that the noise limits are set by the council (and monitored). Goodwood as a race track, also closed for quite some time in the past and was then re-opened.

I go to Thruxton as well and Im one of the few GTRs that can pass the static noise test (Im right on the limit), but never have an issue during the day.

I do completely agree that when people move to the area, knowing that there is a race track there and then complain is just pathetic!

Standard testing would be great, as I have just been invited to Brands Hatch 105db static, but 92db on driveby.... GTR will struggle with that.

Scary bit is that my GTR is quiet, very quiet...... I have seen others at 116db and upwards.

105db static, but 92db on driveby

And there in lies the problem, a static test follows the same standard, .5mtr at 45 degress, we can all test for that, drive bys are vague, no more than 10 meters (so could be one metre), next to buildings, etc etc

Definitely.... and at Goodwood, drivebys will catch me, apparently not so at Brands.... friends have been round in cars making more noise. Tempted to go this afternoon and find out

^^ Absolutely, wind direction etc

I honestly dont think there is a right or wrong, would just be beneficial for all to know what we should expect so we can all prepare and

turn up with cars that pass as you say in your first post, then there can be no grey area. Muting the life out of any car just to get on track to me is just ridiculous, we might as well enter gangzooms world of electric at that point and give up entirely.

Stood in the pits at Goodwood i honestly couldnt hear anything except for cars going down the straight, being Goodwood is 11500 acres i have zero idea how anyone can hear what i didnt further away!

its hardly muting the life out of a car, 90db static is still plenty loud enough! I had an old 300zx which was 99db static and that was way too loud for the road - and most of my BMWs were on standard exhausts which were running around 78db static. still perfectly functioning track cars, just quieter. if you want to do trackdays, you have to make a car quiet! if having a loud car is more important than getting on track that's fine, but you cant have it both ways - its either quiet and on track, or loud and off it.

problem with modern cars as dan says, they have so much sound deadening you cant here anything from inside the car. take the rear seats and carpets out, and even a standard exhaust will sound loud inside the car. I'd be quite happy with a car that sounded demonic inside, but quiet as a church mouse from the outside - I could do any trackdays I liked anywhere in the country safe in the knowledge i'm not putting the circuit at risk of closing, and yet it still sounds great to me inside the car while i'm driving.

• Like 1

^^ Absolutely, wind direction etc

I honestly dont think there is a right or wrong, would just be beneficial for all to know what we should expect so we can all prepare and

turn up with cars that pass as you say in your first post, then there can be no grey area. Muting the life out of any car just to get on track to me is just ridiculous, we might as well enter gangzooms world of electric at that point and give up entirely.

Stood in the pits at Goodwood i honestly couldnt hear anything except for cars going down the straight, being Goodwood is 11500 acres i have zero idea how anyone can hear what i didnt further away!

You can hear the GTR at the other side of the track :D

its hardly muting the life out of a car, 90db static is still plenty loud enough! I had an old 300zx which was 99db static and that was way too loud for the road - and most of my BMWs were on standard exhausts which were running around 78db static. still perfectly functioning track cars, just quieter. if you want to do trackdays, you have to make a car quiet! if having a loud car is more important than getting on track that's fine, but you cant have it both ways - its either quiet and on track, or loud and off it.

problem with modern cars as dan says, they have so much sound deadening you cant here anything from inside the car. take the rear seats and carpets out, and even a standard exhaust will sound loud inside the car. I'd be quite happy with a car that sounded demonic inside, but quiet as a church mouse from the outside - I could do any trackdays I liked anywhere in the country safe in the knowledge i'm not putting the circuit at risk of closing, and yet it still sounds great to me inside the car while i'm driving.

Just get the Renault that sounds like a GTR inside.... infact you can choose your soundtrack :D

the thing that makes me laugh with these tracks is you cant go on track if you dont pass the noise test but you can sit in the paddock and be as loud as you want

Im sure they would ask you to leave.

Edited by grahamc

All depends on your definition of loud i guess, but i dont consider my car at full chat being the same db as a lawnmower defined as loud, i dont want it both ways, just reasonable, sensible and achievable to test ;)

I will face the same problems when i plan to do some motorsport events next year, so its not just trackdays and whilst it may be easy to say, make your car quiet, its just not that easy unless i want to loose a considerable amount of hp (100hp or so) or pay huge sums of money for someone to develop a system.

^^ Making the new silencer to fire out through the rear diffuser into the tarmac rather than out the back as standard so following a similar theory, worst case scenario i will also have two small slip on silencers with a 90degree bend to silde up over the exits which i can secure to the metal diffuser.

^^ Making the new silencer to fire out through the rear diffuser into the tarmac rather than out the back as standard so following a similar theory, worst case scenario i will also have two small slip on silencers with a 90degree bend to silde up over the exits which i can secure to the metal diffuser.

you wanna see the creation Tim (djtimo) was running on his twin turbo car this year was interesting to the least

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

you wanna see the creation Tim (djtimo) was running on his twin turbo car this year was interesting to the least

Gets few mad looks!