rasco's single turbo Z

rasco

owned my Z for 18 months or so, but not got round to starting a build thread.....better late than never ;)

bought my car from WaltzInBlack, a forum member. Top guy, wonder how he's doing these days.

No photos as yet (I'll sort those later) but here's the spec when I bought it. Photos and my additions to follow! :clap:

Engine/fuelling:

1) HKS single turbo kit which includes front mounted intercooler and induction kit/filter. Manual boost control valve fitted by Horsham

2) Upgraded injectors

3) Fuel return system/upgraded fuel rails

4) Upgraded Walbro fuel pump

5) Uprated MAF sensor

6) Plenum spacer

7) new fuel tank senders

Cooling:

1) HKS FMIC as above.

2) Mocal oil cooler kit.

3) Mishimoto 350z alu radiator and fan kit

4) Cosworth 1.3 bar high pressure rad cap

Suspension:

1) BC BR series racing coilovers for 350z.

2) Eibach upgraded ARBs front and rear

3) ALL relevant suspension/subframe links fitted with superpro Poly bushes

4) Whiteline poly diff mounts

5) Uprated drop links

Braking:

1) Steel braided hoses front and rear

2) Uprated Ferodo DS2500 pads all round

3) Uprated DBA 4000 series disks all round

Transmission:

1) Braided clutch lines

2) Quaife ATB limited slip differential

Exhaust:

1) Longlife stainless steel exhaust (from turbo back)

Mapping:

1) Uprev standard ECU by Horsham - 370-80bhp/360/70lbft 0.5 bar

Cosmetic/other:

1) RSW real carbon interior kit

2) Uprated (facelift) bi-xenon headlights and LED tail/brake lights

3) Wheel spacers 25mm rear / 20mm front

4) Honda S2000 stubby aerial

• Like 1

just one photo for now, will sort the more recent ones tomorrow. Here's how it looked when I bought it :

originalZ.jpg

basically a fairly standard Z.... could've pulled a stock photo TBH.....lol.

Here's my previous car anyways, my Leon Cupra R. loved it:

1.jpg

and the car that got me in to modding:

feb20133.jpg

not that you really wanted to see that - but I can't do any other photos till tomorrow....

ok so with the car mechanically sorted, most of my mods have been cosmetic. To start with, I added oil temp and boost gauges in an A-pillar pod, and fitted a Pioneer head unit, Blox gear knob, gear boot, handbrake cover and arm rest....this is how it ended up looking:

interior%20year1_1.jpg

Cheers fella :) yours twin or single?

more recently, been working on the exterior a bit. Collecting parts before booking in for fresh paint.

Met CrustyCrab to buy some G35 19" Rays. Another nice Z owner. Great to start meeting people.

wheels.jpg

These were in need of a refurb and a new set of tyres. I ended up going MPSS (which were also on my 18s) and the weight saving compared to the budget Accelera was surprising. I fitted the wheels with the old tyres on and was initially a bit disappointed with the extra unsprung weight, but since the refurb and MPSSs, I doubt I could tell the difference above 10mph.....

I also really don't like the UK number plate on the rear of the Z. Spent ages quizzing Payco about a chargespeed rear (love his car BTW - exactly to my taste :) ) but to get it done right would have cost a fortune. So picked up an import bumper with a fibreglass lip instead:

rear%20bumper.jpg

Last bit before paint was a strosek style rear spoiler. No pre-fitting photos of this, sorry!

Front and rear badges changed, door handles painted black, and this is how my car looks now:

painted.jpg

spoiler looks a bit naff in the photos but in person it is perfect - now I wouldn't have anything else.

• Like 2

and apart from some new B-pillar trims, I'm back on the interior of the car. Always felt the stock seats were a bit high. Finally settled on Corbeau Boss Evo seats with OMP brackets......updates to follow in the near future, cheers for reading :)

corbeau.jpg

I know this car very well, drove it a few times when Evan had it. And he's doing fine, he bought my MR2 from me! :D

Hey Ekona :) ah he went MR2, nice! I know he was considering boxsters at the time. Glad to hear he's doing good - really nice guy.

• Like 1

Keep an eye on cooling with Mishimoto rad

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Cheers fella but it's been all good for a couple of years now. Got oil temp gauge now as well which I always keep a close eye on! :)

There has been lately few issues with them. As well on my twin turbo was problem too. Returned to stock and no more issues.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Hey mate! Glad to hear you're still enjoying the car. I never did get round to writing my epic 4 year Zed saga for the forum to read (but with your permission, I'd still love to!).

Seats and a proper radio are just what I never got round to doing to finish the car off :) Did you get the manifold sorted?

It's a real testament to the excellent knowledge, patience and skill of both Mark and the team at Abbey and Jez and his guys at Horsham that the car runs so strongly and so reliably on a stock engine, and performs so well generally. Both garages gave me a lot of their time over the years - mostly spent putting up with silly questions from an over anxious and perfectionist owner who didn't really know what he was talking about! :lol:

Ekona is correct, I am currently re-discovering the entire meaning of 'cornering speed' in his stripped out, turbo'd MR2. It is so SO much fun - especially with the roof off - but my god I miss the looks, presence and relative refinement of the Zed! And how it just GOES in 6th gear on the motorway, am I right? Oh and AND how good it sounds even for a turbocharged car.

By the way I found the masterkey for the Zed the other day. If you ever fancy a roadtrip or are in the Herts area then feel free to come and pick it up. Or I will have the MR2 back on the roads in a month or two and can come to you! (I don't really fancy chasing) Beware though... I may be tempted to steal the Zed back with the key :stir:

• Like 1

Hey mate! Glad to hear you're still enjoying the car. I never did get round to writing my epic 4 year Zed saga for the forum to read (but with your permission, I'd still love to!).

Seats and a proper radio are just what I never got round to doing to finish the car off :) Did you get the manifold sorted?

It's a real testament to the excellent knowledge, patience and skill of both Mark and the team at Abbey and Jez and his guys at Horsham that the car runs so strongly and so reliably on a stock engine, and performs so well generally. Both garages gave me a lot of their time over the years - mostly spent putting up with silly questions from an over anxious and perfectionist owner who didn't really know what he was talking about! :lol:

Ekona is correct, I am currently re-discovering the entire meaning of 'cornering speed' in his stripped out, turbo'd MR2. It is so SO much fun - especially with the roof off - but my god I miss the looks, presence and relative refinement of the Zed! And how it just GOES in 6th gear on the motorway, am I right? Oh and AND how good it sounds even for a turbocharged car.

By the way I found the masterkey for the Zed the other day. If you ever fancy a roadtrip or are in the Herts area then feel free to come and pick it up. Or I will have the MR2 back on the roads in a month or two and can come to you! (I don't really fancy chasing) Beware though... I may be tempted to steal the Zed back with the key :stir:

Hah! Oi :p

Loving the Z fella - it really is my dream car. I will keep it for as long as I'm able to run it. So yes, I'd love that key!! You're welcome round any time fella. Would love to see the MR2 too.

It turned out it wasn't the manifold that was the problem, it was the exhaust link pipe. I've had some issues with it (it has been off the car twice now, once a year!) but now is spot on.

I still get compliments for how it sounds. I go through cycles of wanting it louder then wanting it how it is. Will leave it for now.

Will have to post up some interior pics soon, with the new seats, though you can always come round and try them for yourself ;)

And of course, you need no permission from me to create a build thread - in fact, I'd be first in line to read it.