Won't engage gear - odd clutch pedal.

mr v6

Hi everyone,

Tonight whilst stuck in traffic on this hot day I had trouble getting any gear. If I lift my foot off the clutch pedal it would stay about halfway down till I lifted back with my foot. I've left the car parked somewhere for a couple of hours and gone back to it and nothing has changed. I'm presuming, looking on the net as you do, its the clutch slave cylinder.

As I've only had it 4 days I'm going to get it recovered to the place I bought it from and get them to fix it.

Any ideas?:o

That's the usual symptoms of the slave, sitting in the heat with no airflow took mine out. On the DE it's not a big job (big enough for me to go to my tech, but I don't dare touch anything important :lol:) and you might want to do a braided clutch line and uprated fluid at the same time, but I doubt they'd do the last two under warranty.

Yes your diagnosis sounds about right.

Get them to fit a new slave and a braided after market line and also some high temperature clutch fluid. :thumbs:

If you lift the pedal it will probably spring back to correct position.

edit: Stu is on the money, quick learner that boy: :lol:

Edited by ZMANALEX

Cheers guys. I suspect they won't upgrade the line, probably just replace the slave. Clark Motorsport do the kit for £99, but a; I don't feel I should pay, and b; I really can't afford to be carless at all, so it needs sorting quickly☺.

Update.

The car drove onto the recovery truck this morning, obviously cooling down overnight helped, it was also driven off. It's at the place I bought it from & they've agreed to do the 3 repairs I asked them to do initially, the extra one being the slave cylinder. I even emailed them a couple of guides as you can't trust everyone :lol: .

They're re-painting the front bumper as there's a small amount of damage at the bottom, they're also finding out what the source of the knocking is from the front suspension. I suspect the banana arms? They'll check it though.

I want my Z back :byebye: .

Update.

The car drove onto the recovery truck this morning, obviously cooling down overnight helped, it was also driven off. It's at the place I bought it from & they've agreed to do the 3 repairs I asked them to do initially, the extra one being the slave cylinder. I even emailed them a couple of guides as you can't trust everyone :lol: .

They're re-painting the front bumper as there's a small amount of damage at the bottom, they're also finding out what the source of the knocking is from the front suspension. I suspect the banana arms? They'll check it though.

I want my Z back :byebye: .

You've had a very nice turnaround, and to be fortunate about the trader you brought from being respectful and helpful towards this situation.

You'll be getting an ever better car than you started, for nothing extra.

Just be thankful it happened now and not after 6 months :)

Always look at the positives and I'm happy it's all getting sorted for you.

Cheers Lewis ;) .

I'd rather it happened now than say 6 weeks in, then I'd feel it would be don to me to sort, which I would've done. I have access to all manufacturers parts at cost price & a 10 bay workshop all with 2 post lifts, so would've done it regardless. They're also replacing both aux belts & fixing the knocking along the front. I know it was towed in during their working day un-announced, they were due to get it in the workshop this afternoon or tomorrow morning B) .

The place I got the Z from have finally started work on it by replacing the s/c for a genuine Nissan one. They've bled it & got it driving, but the pedal dropped halfway back down as it did with me last week, so they're now replacing the master cylinder on Friday when it arrives.

So far, I've driven the Z for 4 days, it's been sat n the garage for a further 6 days :rant: .

The place I got the Z from have finally started work on it by replacing the s/c for a genuine Nissan one. They've bled it & got it driving, but the pedal dropped halfway back down as it did with me last week, so they're now replacing the master cylinder on Friday when it arrives.

So far, I've driven the Z for 4 days, it's been sat n the garage for a further 6 days :rant: .

I remember reading a quote on this forum from a reptuable garage on here saying "no need to replace master cylinder as I have yet to see one fail".

Aslong as it's at their cost and not yours it's all good :)