Non Starter

bladerunner

Some advice needed here folks, My Z has let me down twice this week. It has twice failed to start, The engine does not even turn over at all. On Tuesday night after work it would not turn over, After a quick check over the battery terminals all seemed fine there and after about 10 attempts it just fired into life. Tonight however it just would not spring into life, Battery seems to be ok and the Z still would not go with jump leads, All i get is a "Click Click" Could this be a bad starter motor or solenoid problem and if so is there a get me home fix for this as my Z is sitting in the works carpark. Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance Bob

you need quite a bit of 'juice' to start a Z - depends what your trying to jump start it with

only thing i've found to work was a 'power start ps700' - it puts out 700A min going up to 1600A

most breakdown services carry them

If it won't even jump start then I'd say the main suspects are definitely a) earth(s) and b ) something to do with the starter motor/starter motor solenoid.

The click you hear is likely to be the solenoid activating, but the power isn't transferring properly to the motor, or the motor itself has an issue.

You could always use a jump start cable as a temporary earth to the starter/engine to help rule that out.

Edited by GreenLandy

I've had identical symptoms with a dieing battery, even connecting a fully charged jump pack I had the "click click". Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then connect a known good battery. Remember to reset the windows afterwards.

Checked my battery and it is good to go so i am suspecting i have a starter issue, What is the easiest route to the starter and what tools am i likely to need? My car is 15 miles away in my works carpark so i need to take everything i might need all at the same time. Jacking it up may be the main problem as i can't drive it up a ramp and it is too low for my trolley jack i think, I do have the OEM scissor jack in the boot so i could always lift with that so as to get the trolley jack under the subframe. Any other tips guy's?

Well i have had the Z up in the air with a combined effort from the OEM scissor jack, a trolley jack and a pair of axle stands as a safety, Still no joy from the starter, No loose/bad connections that i can find, No bare wire shorting out anywhere that i can see so i am totally confused now and a little hacked off with the Z. Removal of said starter was not really an option in the carpark at work as i did not want to raise the car any more than i had already, I would rather it was on a four poster with someone who knows what they are doing with it.

Thanks again for the input guy's

That is not far from me as I am in the Perth area.

If you can bump start it and get it to me it will only take a few minutes to get it on the ramp and have a look. :thumbs:

Thanks for the offer Alex but my Z is a triptronic/auto, If i was able to get it going then and get it home i would certainly attempt to get the starter out myself, It is the location of the car that is the problem at the moment.

Now you tell us that it is a JDM Auto. :surrender:

Okay, drastic circumstances require drastic measures.

Get the car SAFELY in the air and give the starter motor casing (not the solenoid) a few big bangs with a big hammer whilst some one else is in the car trying to start it.

Engine siezed ????? :scare: :scare: :scare:

Inhibitor switch ?

Goost starter motor ?

Battery past its sell by date ?

Battery terminals?

Engine ground points?

Good luck.

Engine siezed ????? :scare: :scare: :scare:

Inhibitor switch ?

Goost starter motor ?

Battery past its sell by date ?

Battery terminals?

Engine ground points?

Good luck.

Engine was running fine when i got to work that morning

Where is the inhibitor switch and what does it inhibit?

Battery is in good nick, Showing 12.7v at rest, If it was a battery problem then surely it would go with a jump start from another vehicle?

Terminals are all good

Dont know where to find earth straps

Goosed starter i feel is the main candidate

Edited by bladerunner

Hey, just because the battery is showing 12.7v does not mean the battery is good. The amps may not be there to back the voltage up. When you connect via a jump start a bad battery will rob everything you throw at it and give nothing to the car. I would strongly recommend begging borrowing or purchasing a known good battery and trying again. I cant stress enough the ghosts you will chase from what you think is a good battery.

Chin up pal.

Edited by Spoons

Hey, just because the battery is showing 12.7v does not mean the battery is good. The amps may not be there to back the voltage up. When you connect via a jump start a bad battery will rob everything you throw at it and give nothing to the car. I would strongly recommend begging borrowing or purchasing a known good battery and trying again. I cant stress enough the ghosts you will chase from what you think is a good battery.

Chin up pal.

So to rule out a bad battery, If i take the battery out of the loop and connect my heavy duty jump leads directly to the car leads and jump from my x5 then this would show battery failure............. or not as the case may be.

Hi, good luck trying to sort. Just thought I'd say that I had exact same thing last week or so. Wouldn't start off jump leads either. I bump started mine and it's been fine for a few days since. In my head I expect the problem to reappear but hopefully it was just a sticky solenoid. I'll let you know if I learn anymore

Well I am officially P*****D right off with my Z, I have tried all the afore mentioned methods of starting again and again, No joy. Put a brand new battery in it today and guess what........................IT STILL WONT START.

Going to get the car recovered tomorrow to a local garage and let them sort it out :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: