Gig Review - Mad Caddies and Dropkick Murphy's

Lexx

More spamming from me today :thumbs:

Went to the Newcastle Acedemy last night to go see the above 2 bands play.

Now, Ska aint to everyones liking. But I kid you not, The Mad Caddies were amazing! Bit narked that they didnt play some of their older stuff, but youc ant have everything.

The main point of last night for me though, was to see The Dopkick Murphy's for the 5th time!

American Irish punk aint the worlds favourite music. Not by a long shot. And I suppose the Dropkicks dont pull it off as well as Flogging Molly.

But Oh My God What a show they put on!

they did a 90 min set! played quite a few of the old favs, and rightly avoided playing more than 2 tracks off The Warriors Code whish is an awful album!!! and they played EVERY track off their new album.

Anyways, just thoguht Id widen your musical knowledge there.

Some links:

They come onto stage with this playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emCUQvf9fqQ

various good tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAH_mjLh ... re=related

hope you dont hate it too much!

Thanks bud, thought it was just me ;)

Edit;

Just looke them up on Wike, makes sense now :headhurt:

The Mad Caddies (or the Caddies) are a third wave ska band from Solvang, California. The band formed in 1995 and has released five full-length albums, one live album, and two EP's. The Mad Caddies sound has influences from broad ranging genres including ska, punk, hardcore, swing, pop punk, reggae, jazz, Spanish, polka (All-American Badass), even Rockabilly (Crew Cut Chuck) and Pirate Shanties (Weird Beard).

:surrender:

Ska just progressed.

The Specials, The Smiths, Madness in 70's and 80's.

Then people started to mix it with punk and rock.

There are masses of Ska bands around, many in the UK. Lightyear, The JB Conspiracy, Munky Punch, Jesse James

Looky here http://www.moonskaworld.com/

Then theres the yanks. Mad Caddies, Less Than Jake, Rancid, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto

While I still have very fond memories of the ska bands of old, I have to say my musical tastes have moved on since. It's the same with AC/DC, Iron Maiden et al. As time has passed with new bands coming out all the time, my tastes have varied. The last albums I bought for instance, were Mark Ronson, Reverend and the makers, Kaiser Chiefs and Muse.

That isn't to say I'm not open to discovering stuff I've not heard before, one of my favourite albums, Dummy by Portishead, was through a friends recommendation, as was Moorcheeba and Goldfrapp, Alabama 3 and even Carter USM! In fact Portishead are releasing a brand new cd in march and I cant wait!!!

I'll check out your links, who knows, I might just re-discover ska :D

Thanks bud, thought it was just me ;)

Edit;

Just looke them up on Wike, makes sense now :headhurt:

The Mad Caddies (or the Caddies) are a third wave ska band from Solvang, California. The band formed in 1995 and has released five full-length albums, one live album, and two EP's. The Mad Caddies sound has influences from broad ranging genres including ska, punk, hardcore, swing, pop punk, reggae, jazz, Spanish, polka (All-American Badass), even Rockabilly (Crew Cut Chuck) and Pirate Shanties (Weird Beard).

:surrender:

OMG bring back Connie Francis :lol::lol: