Laying up the Zed - what to do??

Lexx

As some of you know, I work in the Merchant Navy. And thus go away for 3 months at a time.

The car will be getting garaged for that period.

Aside from chocking the wheels, leaving the handbrake off, disconecting the battery, and covering the car.

Is there anything else I should be doing specific to a Zed?

just found this in the service manual but like I said earlier, don't know if this is the case with MY07

PRECAUTIONS PFP:00001

Precautions for Battery Service AKS003RD

This vehicle is equipped with the automatic window adjusting function. When a door is opened, the window

automatically lowers slightly to avoid contact between the window and the side roof panel. After the door is

closed, the window will automatically raise slightly.

On vehicles equipped with the automatic window adjusting function, lower both the driver and front passenger

side windows before disconnecting the battery cables. This will prevent interference between the side window

and the roof panel when either door is opened/closed.

CAUTION:

After the battery cables are disconnected, do not open/close the driver and/or front passenger door

with the window in the full up position. The automatic window adjusting function will not work and the

side roof panel may be damaged.

Drain the fuel. I wouldn't want 3-month old petrol to be in there when I drove it again after that time.

No dont drain the fuel , fill it right to the brim this way you wont leave an air gap , besides which I'm sure the Zed doesnt have a drain plug on the fuel system.. Fuel wont go bad in 3 months if you do this :thumbs:

Also pump up your tyres hard so if they do leak slightly with standing they wont damage the sidewalls..

Drain the fuel. I wouldn't want 3-month old petrol to be in there when I drove it again after that time.

No dont drain the fuel , fill it right to the brim this way you wont leave an air gap , besides which I'm sure the Zed doesnt have a drain plug on the fuel system.. Fuel wont go bad in 3 months if you do this :thumbs:

But surely you'll still have air in there? I'll admit I'm no expert on the Z and its fuel system, but surely there's some kind of vent that allows fumes to escape and not build up in there, meaning that the tank isn't fully airtight? Either way, I'd not take the risk.

Maybe drain is the wrong word. Burn it by driving instead! :drive1

But surely you'll still have air in there? I'll admit I'm no expert on the Z and its fuel system, but surely there's some kind of vent that allows fumes to escape and not build up in there, meaning that the tank isn't fully airtight? Either way, I'd not take the risk.

No you'll always have a small amount of fuel left in the bottom of the tank that will go bad, three months is nothing really, certainly not long enough for a full tank of petrol to go off, I know mines been laid up since October ( in fact since the last Wales run out whenever that was :lol: )

God I'd kill for a garage that big... I've got 20mm gap at the front of the car and just 15mm at the back in mine.

Beautiful cover that, custom made?

it actually came with the car when I bought it off the first owner , i think it's a genuine Nissan item it has the Z logo on the bonnet :)

No you'll always have a small amount of fuel left in the bottom of the tank that will go bad, three months is nothing really, certainly not long enough for a full tank of petrol to go off, I know mines been laid up since October ( in fact since the last Wales run out whenever that was :lol: )

+1 Yep Tim is right, fill her up, also stops any chance of condensation building up inside the tank. :thumbs:

just found this in the service manual but like I said earlier, don't know if this is the case with MY07

It should be the case with the MY07 since there is no frame around the door windows, and dropping the window when opening the door is the only way to open it without breaking the seal around the door. I think this might actually be the case for all cars which do not have a frame around the door window