Jamez' gunmetal

jamez87

IMG_20160513_141246_zpsizpapdpe.jpg

So been on the forum a little while now and thought its about time I keep track of the car!

Picked up the above z from decent member on the forum back in may. I'd previously owned a fn2 type r but was missing the rwd fun of the m3 I had before it, I've always loved the z' so I thought why not!

This particular one, was in lovely condition and the previous owner really put a lot of effort in to her. The car is far from OEM!

Here's a list of what I picked up:

ENGINE

OIL PAN SPACER

MISHIMOTO RADIATOR FAN SHROUD KIT

MOTUL COOLANT

DEI TEMP COOLANT

ENGINE GROUNDING KIT

GOLD PLUG OIL DRAIN PLUG

DEI GOLD HEAT TAPE

NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS

GATES A/C + DRIVE BELT

MOTERDYNE ART PIPES EXHAUST

MILLTEK Y PIPE EXHAUST

MILLTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST

DC SPORTS 3-1 EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

H-DEV PLENUM SPACER KIT

UPREV ECU REMAP X 4

MOTORDYNE ARMAID INLET GASKET

MOTORDYNE COPPER THROTTLE BODY HEATER

DRIVETRAIN

MOLYSLIP GEAR BOX OIL

HELL S/S CLUTCH LINE

FUCHS GEAR OIL 75W-80

QUAIFE ATB DIFF

WHITELINE REAR DIFF BUSH KIT

LUK DMF

EXEDY CLUTCH KIT

NISSAN MTF GEAR OIL

SUSPENSION

NISSAN BANANA ARMS

WHITELINE REAR ARB

WHITELINE FRONT HD DROP LINKS

WHITELINE REAR HD DROP LINKS

HARDRACE REAR CAMBER ARMS

HARDRACE REAR RADIUS ARMS

HARDRACE REAR LOWER ARM

HARDRACE FRONT CAMBER ARMS

HARDRACE FRONT LONG TRACK ROD ENDS

MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT TYRES X 4

EGEAL PRO TRACKING

MEISTER-R ZETA R COILOVERS

SPL LOCK OUT CAMBER BOLTS

EXTERIOR

XEONES PHILIPS EXTREAM X 2

50W CREE LED SIDE LIGHTS

MICHELIN STEALTH WIPER BLADE

LED NUMBER PLATE LAMPS

HONDA SHORT AERIAL

BONNET DAMPERS

INTERIOR

MAP LIGHT LED

ALCANTARA GEAR TRIM

HIDE AND SEAT RE TRIM GEAR KNOB

CARGO NET

Not a bad start to z life!

Oh yeh, the dewiper was literally the first thing I done!

Edited by jamez87

The very first thing I wanted to sort out was the z' awful factory stance. So 20mm spacers all round were ordered.

IMG_20160513_121442_zpsqvxxz7ie.jpg

IMG_20160513_141205_zpsnc28vyqs.jpg

This didn't really satisfy my needs, so a little later I swapped them over for 25mm all round, which I think is perfect for the rays.

The other mod I ordered straight away was a custom gear knob from the forum.

IMG_20160513_135759_zpsfprhtcos.jpg

Next were a couple of bits that popped up on Facebook and the forum. A bit of pointless engine bling, considering my engine is pretty filthy lol.

Anyway, a got almost new rare JDM engine cover and a Apr carbon slam panel.

IMG_20160519_181841_zpszxawrlgx.jpg

Which got me on to the airbox. The previous owner had used a k&n induction kit, a stillen kit and a 06 airbox during his ownership. Dyno figures showed best results with the 06 airbox. He'd sold this before I got the car, so rather then spending out on a induction kit as planned, I decided to go for a hks filter and velocity stack mod to my de airbox.

IMG_20160608_175204_zpsjvsucohs.jpg

IMG_20160605_205244_zpswrgows2d.jpg

Butt dyno says car is still the same lol but its a proven mod so I'll go with it!

• Like 1

ah ok, sorry, my bad :)

No not at all, I wasn't very clear. Its all credit to the previous owner though, he spent a lot of time with abbey I believe. Its just for me to change the car to my liking now!

Edited by jamez87

Forgot to say one of the other very first mods I done was a bumper tuck! Nice free mod!

IMG_20160513_1412582_zpstzj7dvkn.jpg

Next came 2 of my favourite mods for the car.

I was never overly keen on the miltek exhaust. After hearing my mates z, with a buddy club and then a motordyne exhaust then I always wanted more noise but as a daily I still had to keep it reasonable unfortunately. Though I must say the motordyne is very good when cruising!

Anyway I went for another forum favourite!

IMG_20160624_183900_zpsd5hmqgqk.jpg

IMG_20160628_110058_zpsps1ossek.jpg

Also looks good with the bumper tuck.

IMG_20160628_110115_zpsu63gjlgm.jpg

The invidia was a massive improvement from the miltek. Wasn't so much the noise but the tone. Quiet on tick over but really came alive when you got on the loud pedal! Looks sooo much better too!

Same day I also received a bargain from eBay, a carbon fibre mines style lip. Always loved this lip on the z and carbon was a bonus, compliments the colour of the car in my opinion.

IMG_20160628_110203_zps70pklcwr.jpg

Edited by jamez87

Next up was sorting out my broken Bose head unit. Usual stuff with the skipping, which made listening to music pointless.

IMG_20160405_131048_zpsa6hi5jzf.jpg

Had this quad core android unit sat at hone after removing it from my civic. Really good peice of kit and I loved the fact you can use apps, like torque.

Problem is finding a trim surround to fit the dash but I think I'll have to sort something out myself. Installation was easy and I opted to install it without all the extra wires for steering controls, you'll see why later.

May not look great at the moment but its a better solution then the OEM unit.

IMG_20160615_210151_zpsvebhyog4.jpg

Notice I also changed my gear knob for a neo chrome blox. Just feels a bit better in the hand and the extra weight on shifting is great. Cheer dunks!

A quick solution for my dash was to paint it. It had the usual scuffs everywhere anyway. I went for gloss black, which just breaks up the interior a bit and it helps hide the gap around the head unit! My painting skills are not the best!

IMG_20160702_110429_zpsqiknsjn9.jpg

Excuse the dirty mats, she was still a daily at this point!

So this is where I'm at now!

IMG_20160704_1959012_zpseahihpmk.jpg

Just a couple of little mods that I havnt really mentioned yet, replaced the number plates with plain plates and removed the front surround and removed the Honda aerial for a shorter one. Never took any pictures unfortunately!

IMG_20160709_1914312_zpsq556urfs.jpg

Quick pic at jap show at Santa pod! Had a pretty rubbish journey up there and almost suffered a break down, turns out the clutch fluid could really do with a change!

Also got stuck in the mud!

received_10154195574005390_zpsgillyv33.jpeg

But had a great weekend and it was my first proper z meet. Really good to meet some good guys from the forum!

IMG_20160710_0917492_zpsjd04pmrm.jpg

So something I meant to do before Santa pod but never got time for, replacing the front reflectors for clear ones. Sorry about the pic, it was taken for a message!

IMG_20160807_114111_01_zpso4vb1fxz_edit_1470566498490_zpssnkrosog.jpg

Next up was soon goodies from torqen and the forum!

IMG_20160723_091327_zpsd8amrs4d.jpg

NRG boss and a deep dish wheel and d1 throttle controller.

IMG_20160725_162756_zpsegw24gaa_edit_1470566779107_zps3ndqcmgi.jpg

Steering wheel feels great in the hands and sits just about perfect, I'd say its probably sat the same distance as the OEM wheel. I've lost cruise now but I never used it anyway!

The throttle controller does exactly what it says. Makes the car feel a lot more lively lower down the rev range now, still havnt tried sp10 though! Chose to mount it by the air vent, which I think you can just about see.

Edited by jamez87

So this was big news for me and something I'd been looking forward too for a while.

The z is finally no longer a daily for me!!!!!

We sold my miss' Toyota yaris to a family member and picked up something we are calling the battle horse.

s-l1600_zpsd1ocsdxi.jpg

s-l1600%201_zpsozl1367y.jpg

The other half walks to work every day, so she no longer really needed a car. We decided to go halves on this rav4 so that she has something if she needs it but I get to use it most of the time. Its ideal for our dogs, long journeys and if we ever need to pick large items up etc and its bloody comfy!

Now means I can keep the z cleaner and maybe tuck away some extra money for some exciting mods in the future!

Edited by jamez87

So, now its no longer my daily, I want some more noise!

So first up was scrap the airbox idea and get an induction kit. The obvious choice was a cheap and cheerful pop charger but I've had my eye on the mishimoto kit for a while and its not something I've seen often on a z.

Quality looks spot on and I thought the heat shield was a slightly better design then the pop charger. I managed to get a good discount on the kit, so it worked out about £6 more then the pop charger delivered.

IMG_20160720_203127_zpszksc3gsj_edit_1470568358495_zpse5qvucl9.jpg

I still wanted some more noise though and some people may think what on earth I was doing but I swapped my art pipes for some Berk decats, this deal also included the induction kit.

This worked out for both of us. The arts pipes have really complimented my mates motordyne system and maybe slightly tamed the noise a bit, which I believe he was after. For me the decats have really opened up the noise of the invidia, it's given me noise at the high end that I was really lacking before, a bit deeper on idle and a lovely over run! The v6 has really come alive now and is probably just about spot on without being too loud or a pain on longer journey's.

This was all done just before simply Japanese, again it was another great meet with plenty of z' about. A nice relaxed atmosphere and all the owners were great!

IMG_20160803_131510_zpsc6aty2ma.jpg

Edited by jamez87
  • Like 1

After simply Japanese I really got the itch for some different wheels. The rays are a great OEM wheel but aftermarket itch needed scratching now!

IMG_20160802_164937_zpsdn2bzayw_edit_1470569228776_zps7shxtri1.jpg

So after a bit of a google I picked up some linea corse dyna alloys from a forum member (also got to try out the boot space on the rav4).

They are 19s with a spot on offset for the z. I needed to pick up spigot rings and I also got some neo chrome nuts too.

IMG_20160805_113824_zpsqxizobkr_edit_1470569459846_zpsrzqmgnor.jpg

IMG_20160805_113631_zpsivhfn9vu_edit_1470569436219_zpshpbz5kxb.jpg

I am undecided at the moment. Maybe its just a case of getting used to them. I think the actual wheel is great, so maybe its the colour. In direct sunlight they look great, loveley metallic flakes really pop out. So we shall see...I'm open to colour ideas!

IMG_20160805_1116552_zpso5fg96nb.jpg

So this is where I'm at for now. Next up I'll probably be lowering the front a tiny bit and if I keep the wheels then I think I may add some 5mm eibach spacers all round.

With all the suspension and engine mods, the car drives absolutely spot on, I also like the fact there is a little more to this car then meets the eye.

Z ownership has been great, I always thought I'd really regret selling my m3, that was a dream car for me but in all honesty other then in a straight line the z blows the m3 (e46) away in every other aspect, in my opinion. Though I did like the rev matching SMG box a lot.

Hopefully now I can put some money away for the z and future updates will be bigger!!

Latest spec list:

OIL PAN SPACER

MISHIMOTO RADIATOR FAN SHROUD KIT

MOTUL COOLANT

DEI TEMP COOLANT

ENGINE GROUNDING KIT

GOLD PLUG OIL DRAIN PLUG

DEI GOLD HEAT TAPE

NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS

GATES A/C + DRIVE BELT

BERK DE CATS

INVIDIA GEMINI CAT BACK EXHAUST

TITANIUM SINGLE LAYER TIPS

DC SPORTS 3-1 EXHAUST MANIFOLDS

H-DEV PLENUM SPACER KIT

UPREV ECU REMAP X 4

MOTORDYNE ARMAID INLET GASKET

MOTORDYNE COPPER THROTTLE BODY HEATER

MISHIMOTO INTAKE KIT

DRIVETRAIN

MOLYSLIP GEAR BOX OIL

HELL S/S CLUTCH LINE

FUCHS GEAR OIL 75W-80

QUAIFE ATB DIFF

WHITELINE REAR DIFF BUSH KIT

LUK DMF

EXEDY CLUTCH KIT

NISSAN MTF GEAR OIL

SUSPENSION

NISSAN BANANA ARMS

WHITELINE REAR ARB

WHITELINE FRONT HD DROP LINKS

WHITELINE REAR HD DROP LINKS

HARDRACE REAR CAMBER ARMS

HARDRACE REAR RADIUS ARMS

HARDRACE REAR LOWER ARM

HARDRACE FRONT CAMBER ARMS

HARDRACE FRONT LONG TRACK ROD ENDS

MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT TYRES X 4

EGEAL PRO TRACKING

MEISTER-R ZETA R COILOVERS

SPL LOCK OUT CAMBER BOLTS

EXTERIOR

XEONES PHILIPS EXTREAM X 2

50W CREE LED SIDE LIGHTS

MICHELIN STEALTH WIPER BLADE

LED NUMBER PLATE LAMPS

BONNET DAMPERS

SHORTER STUBBY AERIAL

SILVERTEC FRONT INDICATORS

APR CARBON FIBRE SLAM PANEL

RARE JDM ENGINE COVER

NEO CHROME ENGINE WASHERS

CARBON FIBRE MINES STYLE FRONT LIP

REAR BUMPER TUCK

REAR DE WIPER

INTERIOR

MAP LIGHT LED

ALCANTARA GEAR TRIM

CARGO NET

ALCANTARA HANDBRAKE TRIM

BLOX NEO CHROME WEIGHTED GEAR KNOB

GLOSS BLACK CENTRE CONSOLE

EONON ANDROID QUAD CORE DOUBLE DIN

NRG SHORT BOSS KIT

DEEP DISH SUEDE STEERING WHEEL

D1 THROTTLE CONTROLLER

WHEELS AND BRAKES

LINEA CORSE DYNA 19" STAGGERED

NEO CHROME WHEEL NUTS

DRILLED DISC'S

FERODO DS250 PADS

Edited by jamez87

nice car fella, will keep an eye on this one - good to meet you the other day (albeit briefly). Really need to get round to setting up my own build thread...

Cheers bud! Was loving the blue Z, don't be surprised if my next mod is a spoiler ;)

Edited by jamez87
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So about 2 and a half years later and I'm back in a 350.

I picked up this Z a few weeks ago now after I saw it pop up for sale local to me and I kind of just went for it, always loved the 350 and probably one of those cars I should never have got rid of in the first place. 

So it's, shiny silver/ blade silver!? I have no idea as the colour code has about 10 different names but it's a true jap, imported in 2007 with roughly 54k miles. 

Has the good stuff the UK gt comes with and the bonus of TWO auto windows!! Also comes with the original proper Z carpet mats that seem very hard to come by, look awesome in the car. 

Benefits from a uprev map, plenum spacer, nearly new tein coilovers, Cobra resonated system and hfc, 30mm spacers all round, hel brake lines and a decent enough Sony touchscreen. 

I've already done de-wiper, remove boot weight, stubby aerial, mishimoto gear knob, 4x Avon zz5, mintex discs and ebc yellow stuff pads all round, gold heat reflective tape on intake pipe and a jwt popcharger. 

I've also given it a quick go over with dodo juice lime prime fine cut polish and finished with dodo juice super natural hybrid nano wax, I'm no detailer but the results were plenty good enough for me and the main point being protecting the paint. 

Unfortunately that's where the car has let me down a little, I'm guilty of missing the poor paint job someone had done to cover up some small rust bubbles on both rear arches, it's a really poor job. So I'll be looking at sorting that at some point. 

But overall the car is great and pretty much fault free, it will eventually be a track/fun toy for me so the body is no a major drama and the next mods will be more focused to spirited driving with sway bars being next!

Looks wise, she'll be staying pretty much standard. 

IMG_20190512_151526.jpg

IMG_20190512_151505.jpg

IMG_20190512_151413.jpg

Edited by jamez87
  • Like 1