Revs shot up and car did not pull

mattfinch

Hi all.

This is the first time this has happened. I was on a long stretch of road doing 50mph. I pressed the clutch in gave it a rev and put it in 3rd to shoot off. However the revs shot up and red lined but the car did not pull and felt like the wheels was just spinning, but they was not. The clutch then stank really bad. The pedel felt soft and easy to push down. I put it in 5th and carried on driving. I tried it again and the same happened. I pulled into a car park put hand break on and lifted the clutch. The revs dropped and stalled. Done this twice. Then drove out and car pulls well in all the gears and revs go up with speed. Any thought? Is my clutch on its way out or was it having a funny 5minutes? Clutch pedel feels normal again and no smells?

Any help would be great.

I'd imagine the clutch was slipping and on its way out under the extra stress. Having said that you say you gave it some revs which the clutch was in and then dumped it, that's not too good for any clutch, how many revs are you talking?

Thanks for the reply. I gave it a couple of taps on the accelareter which would probbs left the revs around 4k and dumpped it. Should not of done it really. I was expecting the traction control to kick in and cut the power but thats when the revs shot up and the car went no where. I did not know if it was the tc playing up. Have just driven it again and pulls well in the gears and stalls when hand break is on

Thread moved. ;)

I'd echo what the above have said as it sounds like clutch slip to me.

...I pulled into a car park put hand break on and lifted the clutch. The revs dropped and stalled. Done this twice.

When you did that above though if the clutch is damaged or badly worn and slipping it should have not stalled & continued to rev which is puzzling. Could maybe be the first signs though that it is on its way out.

I'd definitely start pricing up a clutch kit with flywheel & some new clutch fluid as well. Try Clark Motorsports & some of the other traders on here for the best prices. :thumbs:

Thanks for the replies. I think your right but might be in the first stage of going under heavy load. Just strange it does not slip when hand break on test and also up hill in 6th. Ill start looking into prices and if it starts to slip again when normal driving will get it done before it goes and leaves me on the side of the road. Thanks again.