r35's in Malaysia

chips

On holiday in Malaysia, was being driven around the city and we were taking a look where the High Court is and it was a bit busier there than normal on a Saturday night so we got out to take a look....

Turns out it's KL Supercar Drag Race night!

kl-supercars_zpscyyqkfap.jpg

By far the most popular and around more than 1/4 of cars were r35's! looking like from stock to wild, and with a whole lot of pops bangs and launch modes going down!

They lined up the Lambo, Porsche and Ferrari guys against them to have a go and get some lessons :p

Can't say it was exclusively supercar though, and it would have have been better if the guys who brought their mum's amg, vw and 's' audi's leave them at home. :yawn:

• Like 1

I thought that the taxes on importing cars to Malaysia were ridiculous!

The import duty rate for importing Personal used car into Malaysia is 30% plus an excise fee of 105% , the import GST is 6%, when classified under Cars & Motorcycles → Cars | used - petrol → Petrol Car | engine capacity > 3000cc with HS commodity code 8703.24.942

•  

So in order to import a new Nissan GTR to Malaysia I'm estimating that you would have to pay customs somewhere in the region of £175,000 (on top of the initial price of the car!!!) to do that.... that's insane! correct me if I am wrong though?

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/205498692/

Yep, even worse in Singapore too. My mum is from Malaysia and I was out there a couple of years ago, I was amazed at how vibrant the modified car scene is out there considering the cost, they really love their cars.

I'm told same, that taxes really puts the costs up here.

And for sure they love it here though. At the event one of the Lambos was one of the most customised I've ever seen.

On the street, most of the Almeras have Nismo spoiler kits and there are so many TRD Toyotas!

Maybe not everyone has the newest car but it seems like almost everyone has non standard wheels and body kits!

My cousin in Malaysia had an accident in his BMW 328i.

Accident was bad.

He rolled the car THREE times.

Every panel an bumper was mashed.

All airbags went off.

Despite the car being nearly 2 yrs old, based on the Malaysian value of the car the insurance company refused to write it off AND FIXED IT.

He told me a Subaru BRZ/Toyota GT86 is about $75kUSD!

Plenty of modified cars in Malaysia/Thailand/Singapore. Almost any corner you go, you'll see modified car.....some are tastefully modified, some are fugly...... Singapore is even worst for owning a car.....expensive parking space in front of your house or apartment. Then you have to pay for permit to actually own a car, any car older then 10 years (i think) are not allowed on the street.