350z with Rust?!?!? Help. New to 350z's

Mjforan89

Hi

I looking to buy my first 350z. The car is advertised at £5,500 with 71,000 miles on the clock. However, on the advert the guy has said that there is slight 'blistering' on the arches. I got the guy to send me pics and it doesn't look too bad. But is it a good idea to even consider buying this car as I've read that rust is a big problem with the 350z's?

I'd be appreciate any help and advice.

post-29042-0-35024300-1468432675_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard firstly. :welcome:

My own experience with my old 350Z & blistering on the rear arches would say to walk away imo.

The reason I say that is I paid for some minor blistering to be repaired on my old Zed at a body shop. Literally a week after I get the car back from them the blistering under the paint is back. This time I get them to take pictures as they do the work to my Zed.

They cut out portions of the rear arch where the rust was & then welded in new steel. This was then prepped, primed & painted properly ~ all documented with photographic evidence.

Unfortunately despite this, around a year or so later small blisters started to appear in the same area again. Really disappointed and money down the drain.

They'd done other paint/body work on my car which was fine but they just couldn't get the rear arches fixed properly. Realistically I would have probably needed new rear quarters to get rid of the rust altogether or maybe another body shop would have done the job better/right in the first place but as you don't own that 350 why not try to find one without that issue already occurring as you could be letting yourself in for a right ball ache of a job to get fixed right. ;)

• Like 1

The lip on the wheel arches is a perfect mud trap. I run a finger along it every month to clear it, get a good powerwash under there and then spray with a thick lube. Underseal, any paint really, gets blasted with road crap and soon chips off. JDM's seem to suffer more than UK models, looks like we got better underseal.

Thanks for the advice its much appreciated. Also the more I've read about the rust and the cost of replacing the panels the more I've been put off this car...I'll pass on this 350z. Also saves me a 4 hour trip too.

There's other 350z's about. I'll be an owner soon :) .

Thanks for the advice its much appreciated. Also the more I've read about the rust and the cost of replacing the panels the more I've been put off this car...I'll pass on this 350z. Also saves me a 4 hour trip too.

There's other 350z's about. I'll be an owner soon :) .

It is a difficult decision to make sometimes especially if the car has other things that you really want/like about it but honestly I think you're doing the right thing. ;)

Plenty of Zeds for sale on here too btw just in case you hadn't noticed: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/51-zeds-for-sale/

Good luck with the Zed hunt and & don't hesitate to ask for help/advice if you can't find the answer on the forum already answered for you. :thumbs:

I had a small amount on both my rear wheel arches, it's a common problem due to the inner and outer wheel arches being spot welded every 4" or so where they come together, leaving a slight gap where water can get in. I had the rust cut out and lots of wax oil squirted inside the arches, then new metal welded back in. It cost me £800 for both arches.

• Like 1