IMMEDIATE HELP!!!

Ollydykins

278c32b7b090cffc1bc49b707d25381a.jpg

95491c16693eaf6c546ca5186884be60.jpg

Had the bottom held with a rag and mole grips, but the whole thing came out, this is no biggy right?, CANNOT for the life of me separate the gearknob (which I'm trying to change) from the rod.

Please help!!!! Currently

Sat here!!

Olly

Edited by Ollydykins

See stuff like this Olly is why I'm more than happy to pay garages to work on my car for me most times.

I mean I've work on loads of cars (my own & other peoples when I've worked in garages) but to quote Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon) "I'm too old for this sh*t!". :lol:

Have you got it sorted now then?

Actually yes, through pure frustration (and frequent time outs) it was just very hard locktite ....

ad29982e980ef0de2e0d0d505360d1b0.jpg

7f34a15a9589652d2b8d6fbe636fb575.jpg

Just can't get this thing back on -.- ...

20a61b67f3d8dd72b38cafe575825ec4.jpg

Won't clip all the way round...

And the garages around me were going to charge about £20-£30 and I read a thread which said it was easy....

Easy if you don't have a short temper and a rock hard gearknob...

• Like 2

"through pure frustration (and frequent time outs) it was just very hard locktite ....

Easy if you don't have a short temper and a rock hard gearknob...

I am exactly the same as you Olly... I lose my temper so easily and end up just giving myself a timeout... but it all works out in the end usually. You get so much more satisfaction from doing it yourself! haha ... even if you are almost on the verge of suffering a stroke in the process!

Edited by RS8055

Olly I haven't seen how that silver ring goes on but does it have small tabs or something then?

If this makes sense ~ You might have to cut your gear gaiter in the places where the tabs meet up to give it the room it needs to locate. I'm assuming the alcantara gear gaiter is thicker than OEM which is what's causing you an issue. :shrug:

I do agree with RS above though that you get so much satisfaction from doing these jobs yourself. ;)

I'm going from memory now (which, has let me down before), but I think you've got the gaiter fitted incorrectly. It should pass underneath the ring(s) you're trying to attach the silver ring to, not over the top.

EDIT: There are tabs on the gaiter that are spaced in different locations. By the looks of the stitching on yours, you don't have these in the right place anyway :shrug:

FURTHER EDIT: (Memory is coming back to me). There are two plastic rings that the gaiter sits in that are held together with plastic tabs and these are screwed to the underside of the centre console. Unscrew the two rings (still fixed together) prise them apart (making note of the tabs). You should then see the different location tabs for the gaiter. Pass the gaiter the other side of the rings than you have, locating the pins where they 'should' be (I imagine the stitching will be facing forward and backwards).

It's basically a reversal of everything you should of done to remove the original gaiter!