What's the science behind some detailing products, how often do you really need to reapply?

Miller350z

I've been giving my car a proper going over with loads of different products. I did the following

Meguiars clay kit.

Auto glym hd cleanser.

2x coats ag srp.

2x coats poorboys diamond white glaze.

2x coats ag extra gloss protection.

2x coats collinite paste wax

I did 2 coats of each product to ensure I didn't miss any. With cleaning the car as well this is getting on for 8 hours. I've done it over a couple of days.

My question is how often to reapply any of the above?

If the egp is keeping the srp and glaze protected and then the collinite is supposed to last a year will I be wasting products waxing every week?

For example if in 2 weeks time I put some poorboys or srp on it will it go through the collinite wax and get to scratches or will it just cover scratches that's happened since the wax?

Hope this kind of makes some kind of sense

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ!

You must have more fillers on your paintwork thanJackie Stallones boat race!

For me having seen these in action I'd say probably 2-3 months at best.

SRP is fairly useless and chocked with fillers

Poorboys is decent as a filler glaze

AG extra gloss I would guess is also a filler packed glossing agent

Collinite seems to be well liked.

Personally I'd cut out steps 1 and 3. They ain't doing but the square root of jack. Certainly nothing that the superior products in steps 2 and 4 are doing better.

Basically when your Collinite starts to give up the ghost in a couple of months top up with wax.

2 coats is also a bit overkill IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Lol, well after the time it has taken I think it'll be 1 coat from now on. So no point in any kind of filler for 3 months then?

Just a wash, once a week and I've also got some ag aqua wax, worth using every other week then in 3 months more wax?

Basically I don't mind using any of the products but don't wanna just waste time any money if it makes no difference

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a tough one. Wax will protect your car and therefore continually topping up is good.

That said touching your car in anyway unless totally decontaminated (i see cars recontaminated a month after a decontaminate them) will mean you risk introducing swirls.

Secondly if for example you use a cracking wax with good durability and excellent contact angles in its hydrophobicity then layering it with a cheaper wax will mean the water behaves differently.

So if beads are your thing then cheap product on top of good product could produce poor results for the sake of protecting your expensive product.

Also some cheap products could actually damage or remove the expensive product (Ilogikal knows a bit more about that than me).

Anything abrasive will remove wax in some way or another (SRP is mildly abrasive).

• Like 1

You called, Ricey? :teeth:

Firstly bin anything with Glym on the bottle... ;)

Running through your current regime, OP, you're doubling up on both jobs - SRP and PB WD are both, for all intents and purposes, filler glazes (SRP is marketed as something else but in essence that's all it does really) and then EGP and Colli are both synthetic sealants.

EGP is designed to work on top of SRP but it wont sit on PB WD well as that's much oilier than SRP, so it won't bond well. Also EGP and Colli are both quite solvent heavy so they'll both weaken, if not remove, the fillers beneath.

To be honest, because of the products you've used, you'll likely struggle to get 2 months out of it all. You'll get better durability if you drop either SRP and EGP or PB WD and Colli. Personally I'd drop the AG products, but that's just me.

On top of that you should know that using Colli on top of either SRP or PB WD will reduce the lifespan of Colli. On bare paint Colli will last a good four months or so. On top of a glaze it should last potentially 3 months. Unfortunately that's the price you pay for using glazes, they tend to work best with oily waxes but not so much with sealants so you lose the durability advantage of using sealants.

If you've got Aquawax, use that every other wash (I'm not actually convinced that, that adds any worthwhile protection personally though) until it runs out and then invest in something like Sonax BSD or Gyeon Cure instead which will happily do a month on top of anything between top ups.

Finally, bin anything with Glym in the title... :lol:

I have a contrary opinion, I really rate SRP, if used correctly. The new formula (post 2012) is very good at cleaning and filling and I prefer it to Poorboys and it also provides a good base for sealants, including Collinite. I agree in using just one of the Collinite or the EGP (which is an old fashioned liquid sealant that requires quite a long cure time before buffing), because of that I'd use the Collinite out of what you have, but there are better hybrid waxes and sealants than this that are both easier to use and more durable.

I have a contrary opinion, I really rate SRP, if used correctly. The new formula (post 2012) is very good at cleaning and filling and I prefer it to Poorboys and it also provides a good base for sealants, including Collinite. I agree in using just one of the Collinite or the EGP (which is an old fashioned liquid sealant that requires quite a long cure time before buffing), because of that I'd use the Collinite out of what you have, but there are better hybrid waxes and sealants than this that are both easier to use and more durable.

If you want to pay postage I've got 2 litre bottles of SRP you can have bud.

Not being facetious......I've no use for it.