Anyone been to Japan on holiday?

stanski

Been there many times and had a break before joinng and leaving ships. Its an amazing place. Havent been there for a while though.

Would recommend trying it if only to view the lifestyle out there. Food is also fantastic and you havent lived until you have tried a Kobe Steak :D unless you are veggie ;)

Cool - thanks - I've been meaning to plan a trip out for some time - I better get my bum in gear - mind you if I do get a ragtop Zed this year I wont have the dosh to do that :wacko:

Maybe I should buy my Zed over there and drive it back? Hmm looking at world map though - its either Russia or China to get through ? :headhurt:

Cool - thanks - I've been meaning to plan a trip out for some time - I better get my bum in gear - mind you if I do get a ragtop Zed this year I wont have the dosh to do that :wacko:

Maybe I should buy my Zed over there and drive it back? Hmm looking at world map though - its either Russia or China to get through ? :headhurt:

And watch the first bit, its a little damp.

Hmm,Zed road trip, stone chips, which tyres, servicing, clicky back axles :scare: Make sure you take a laptop and stay logged on :lol:

It is a very different place though. The culture is unique and given the chance to get out of the Hillbilly Inn it is very relaxing. B)

I just came back from Japan. I have been there for my work (only 5 days, including traveling, so I have been there for 3 days)

It really is an amazing place! Unfortunately because it was for business it was just a short time, but I did eat Kobe beef and Fugu fish, so I did quitte a lot :lol:

I can recommend to go there and I really want to go back some time for a longer period.......

They told me that June/July/August is the best time to go there.....

Thanks Guys - yeah trouble with bleedin work trips abroad - its all about work innit? They never let you spend a day or 3 just wandering around and taking pics etc do they? :lol:

Ok so its June/July/August then - I will need a laptop to connect to the forum when I hear my clicking axles (dont we just turn the stereo up to drown that noise out?) :wacko:

Then I will need to borrow a dingy for the first bit to Russia/China and then well its easy just £5000 on fuel bills to get back to blighty - sounds fair to me if I get a shiny new Zed ragtop (think of the suntan I will get) for £8K - still cheaper than here and I can bore people to death about the trip for ever more! :dry:

I'm sold! Any other advice about Japan? Places to visit (mount Fuji etc)??

Been there quite many times for business and spent a few days here and there for more social reasons.

If you can get there for the spring blossom the islands are stunning.

A couple of contrasts must be done, certainly the various city aspects of Tokyo are well worth spending a few days exploring, depending on what you like to do there are places you can find anything and things you hadn't thought of.

Fuji - is very much a weather dependent trip, so have some flexibility in your schedule.

An absolute must is to get out into the mountain villages for a few days, lots of alternatives.

Bullet train, is smooth and quick but not into the TGV speed league or that new Shanghai link. You really need to go on the underground to get about in the cities and the best tip I got is to never leave any station until you've worked out where you are going. Go to an in city golf driving range.

Learn a few phrases, helps greatly, food is super, lots of varieties and types, can be incredibly expensive in top notch Tokyo restaurants.

Thanks for that extra info - I am copying this into notepad !

The things I do to get a decent bottle of Saki! :D

Let me know if you want any recommendations

Yes please all recommendations very welcome.

I suppose I want to see the countryside ,villages , temples and maybe spend a little time in the cities also - its not a trip I am likely to do very often so would like to make the most of it and like anything decent research is the best way? So thank you all for your suggestions please keep them comming.

Stan :)

I suggest you get yourself a palm PDA and download

and go to

http://www.japaninyourpalm.com/

it has a database of basic sentences which you can keep in your PDA, and recommendations but mainly around hiroshima... (I think it was developed by some FORD guys for when they had to visit the MAZDA plants in the hiroshima area...)

also download

METRO program with the TOKYO underground...

(Pocket PC, Windows Mobile or palm... ) unbelievable help ...

specifically have a look at this page :p

http://www.japaninyourpalm.com/surprises.htm

I have been to Kyoto, Tokyo, And a few other areas "up North" some of them for Snowboarding... but I think for a first visit, you should try and include Tokyo and Kyoto.

as contrasting as you will ever find in JAPAN, but still accomodating enough for "gaijins" .

TOKYO will give you the city bustle and the cool Japan

KYOTO will give you temples and a more traditional view of Japan...

(In Kyoto I bet you will be lucky and you will find a group of students willing to be you guide for the day , FOR FREE, purely as a chance for them to practice their english, and if you are really lucky they will be very cute... :teeth:B), i do suggest that if you accept their offer, that you cover the entry tickets for the temples etc... (not much but it is a nice thank you gesture...) )

Also I heard Hiroshima is an impressive place also, but i have not visited it.

Definately Kyoto, lots to see there. I love Osaka, my second favourite hotel in the world was there. Used to be callaed the Sakai Grand. Just googled it but its changed its name. It had about six restaurants each serving regional food, not a burger in sight. Heaven.

Yes, Fugu for the brave :scare:

I suggest you get yourself a palm PDA and download

Top stuff this is all good - I have a pocket loox N100 sat nav which has a walk mode and is nice and small and works around town- so maybe I should get maps of Japan on there - having said that , may be worth my while buying something while I am over there!! Bound to be cheaper. Buy a Nissan Cube to bob about in :wacko:

I guess Japan is a big country and will have to be a 2 pronged approach - go for the touristy thing first and come back a second time to do a more in depth reccy.

When on business / training courses etc, and met Japanese people /students they have been great I love their attitude to life they are just really fun! :teeth: the ladies are particularly nice ;)

Thats a good idea about the students - they can teach me Japanese and I can teach them Blighty speak like from oop North - Champion! :lol:

Cool website that:I like these....

While living in Japan over the past year, We've learned not to let a few interesting everyday and cultural encounters surprise us. Here are a few:

They don't sell envelopes at the post office (you must buy them at the convenience store)

At a restaurant, they usually only provide one menu per table

Even after you've been studying accelerated Japanese for 1 year, the 3 year old boy talking to his mother at the supermarket seems to have better command of the language than you do.

Everybody is walking around talking on a miniature cell phone. We even saw a woman flipping through dresses at the department store with both hands permitted to be free because she was wearing a headset type mobile phone.

Your Japanese friends email you from their mobile telephone.

There is a particular looking booth in all the convenience stores where you can change the melody of your cell phone's ring for $4.00.

The Chinese food is nothing like in the USA. For that matter, it's still nothing like the Chinese food you find in China itself.

You're not full after just spending more than $20 on dinner

When you arrive at the train station your first time in Japan, you don't recognize any of the food, except maybe some M&M's if you're lucky.

There are no paper towels or means to dry your hands in any restroom.

No one is wearing sunglasses - the sunglass image is associated with the mafia here

Nobody seems to pull over to the side of the road for an ambulance that has it's sirens on

You can't find celery at the supermarket

The bananas (expensive) you bought yesterday have turned to liquid on your kitchen counter today.

You have a dead whole fish staring at you from the plate at breakfast

After you've carefully studied your introduction and manner (in Japanese, with a bow and no handshake), the party you are meeting gestures to shake your hand anyway and says "Pleasure to meet you"

There are many stairs to climb at the train station, and no escalators

Nobody accepts a tip (not even the movers or the barber)

The napkins at the restaurant are coated with plastic, so they effectively just serve to smear everything and never absorb.

At the restaurant, you get your bill before your meal even arrives (they're not trying to get rid of you)

As a westerner, you may not be permitted to enter some bars.

The popcorn is coated with fish flakes.

There is corn and mayonnaise on the pizza

You can order squid ink on your pizza in lieu of tomato sauce.

Credit cards and checks are not as generally accepted as in America, most transactions are in cash.

You may see grown men peeing in the street.

An innocent looking roll at the bakery usually has a surprise filling, like beans, or some other surprise ingredient.

When you walk into any shop, the employees yell "EERASHAIMASAEE!" - it means welcome, how can we help you?.

When you leave any shop or restaurant, you may find several people yelling "DOMOARIGATO GOZAIMASHTA!" - Thank you very much.

The young woman are wearing shoes that are about 6 inches tall.

The automatic ticket booths on the highway often have a ticket dispenser on the left hand side - for those who have American, left hand drive cars

There is no door at the entrance to the public bathroom.

The men's room on the bullet train has a window - to the inside of the train

You spend about $50 filling up you small car's 15 gallon tank.

Your brand new car doesn't come with a full tank of gas.

You see some people walking down the street wearing a sort of mask over their mouth and nose - they are sick and are trying to both get better and prevent others from catching what they got.

The gas station attendant offers to take any garbage you have lying around in your car and then when your tank is full, he runs out into the street to stop traffic so you may safely merge in.

There are heated toilet seats at your workplace.

You blow the "optimal" weight to height guideline shown on the bathroom scale at the Rihga Royal hotel - this is intended for a Japanese person.

At the supermarket checkout, you're given a handful of plastic bags so that you can bag your groceries yourself.

No "paper or plastic" choice at the supermarket, you have "plastic or plastic"

Each of the 12 donuts you just bought are individually wrapped in plastic.

A single movie ticket will run you about $18US

You and your western friends may be the only people laughing during the movie.

It's ok to bring McDonald's, a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken, or whatever into the movie theater.

The Japanese stay seated after a movie and watch ALL the credits (except if the movie is over 3 hours)

Its the little things that make the difference. The Japanese are used to our ignorance in hotels etc but a little research into greetings and customs will be respected. It really is a one off country and well worth the treck.

Yes you are right - but I take this attitude anywhere I go if you make the effort the rewards are bigger meet people half way - even London! :lol:

Thank you all for your advice and help I've got a lot of homework to do by the looks of things - any more infor greatfully received :D

Stan

Its the little things that make the difference. The Japanese are used to our ignorance in hotels etc but a little research into greetings and customs will be respected. It really is a one off country and well worth the treck.

Havign been to japan for the same reasons as Martin, I can agree with him that making a little effort to learn greetings and small customs can go a long way. It's even got me an upgrade on one or two flights home!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Kobe Steak.

My experience was the same. A few words in japanes go a long way (yopari mean drunk, is said quite often).

I found a lot of japanese would not try to speak english (for fear of embaressing themselves) unless they were drunk. Was quite funny speaking in pigeon english to find they spoke fluent english after a few beers.

I love Osaka. The osaka sky building gives you a great view of the city.

Recomendations:

Bars over there can be in office blocks, not at street level). Just get in the lift and explore. Found several great bars that way.

Worth going to spa world in osaka. It is the biggest spa baths in the world although you get people pointing at your chest hair:-)

Miaya, south of hiroshima is worth a visit to have a look around the island and go to the top of the mountain in the cable car.

Go to Yoyogi park in tokyo on a sunday to see all the wierd kids dressed up in cartoon customes etc.

Dont expect a train or tube ever to be late. If you are not on the platform at your ticket time, you have missed it.

Great stuff - thanks - what about cost of food ?

- is it expensive over their to eat , public transport that kinda thing?

Do you need to buy tickets up front on public transport or pay as you board ?

Are you okay to go into a Temple and maybe take pictures or would they be offended I would'nt want to be disrespectful.

Are there restrictions on how much you can take out of the country ? I mean like Camera equipement for my Pentax gear for example? I dont mean export a wagon load of stuff here like Sake! :lol:

I could stuff a few Zed parts down my keks I suppose ! ;) By which time I hope to actually have one of the damn things! :headhurt:

Hey,

Been living over here for about 6 months now loving it so far apart from the Japanese office!!

Food is really reasonable, you wont have a problem finding somewhere to eat at all..

Most menus have pictures so you can get away with smiling and pointing at things - ask for 'nama biru' if you want draught beer ;)

Food wise, Okonomiyaki kinda like a omelet with noodles, seafood and other goodies and Yaki Niku - Korean barbecue are my favourites here!

Train tickets, you need to buy upfront. You could get yourself one of these;

http://www.japanrail.com/JR_japanrailpass.html

Failing that if you are in Tokyo and the surrounding prefectures then I would recommend getting a Pasmo or Suica card, its pretty much an Oyster pre-pay kind of thing.

It costs the same but its less hassle than going to a ticket machine all the time which you will probably do a lot in Tokyo.

Onsen - hot spring - well worth a visit, Shizuoka and Gunma have plenty and are fairly close to Tokyo. I found one through this site and it was amazing... http://www.secret-japan.com/onsen/

The one we ended up going too, http://www.amagisou.jp/

The lack of English can get a little frustrating on a day-to-day living basis, simple things like the post office and the supermarket is an adventure, but when I was on holidays here it wasn't such an issue at all...

If you can, I would try to visit Ishigaki Island, its in the Okinawa prefecture. There are tons of little islands around there with some really nice things to see. Much more relaxing than Tokyo!

Hope this helps, you will have an amazing time!

Cheers,

Ben

Hope this helps, you will have an amazing time

Thanks Ben thats really helpful advice - I would love to see the rest of Japan instead just big cities etc but they have their place also .

Gonna have to buy a few more memory cards for the camera then - I love my photos! :)

Stan