Mx5 enquiry

ZeppoJeff

I'm away to go see a mk1 mx5 tomorrow and wondered if anyone had one before and what to look for when viewing one. Common faults etc.

So far the car has just had a full overhaul with new coilovers, polybushing all round, new discs and pads, sill replaced and heaps of parts powder coated.

Was an enthusiast winter project so I'm just hoping it's a good find.

http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/smitstui/slideshow/MX-5

Any advice would be grateful

Never owned one but always had my eye on getting one at some point - my reading always seemed to come around to the big issue of checking for rust which kills these cars. The sills fill with water and they rot from the inside out, that one looks clean, make sure they havent sprayed over rust...

My wife has one in top condition.Check the drainage from the rear hood mounts in either wing as they can get clogged and cause rust and a very wet floor.Also they are prone to rust around the rear wheel arches but that will be very visible..

Edited by Payco

Just go round the sills and rear wheel arches with something solid (screwdriver handle or something) and give them a bash, see if any new holes appear. Obviously thats the main thing to go wrong with them and an expensive fix, everything else is cheap and easy to get. As above, check carpets behind seats for wet. There's a guide on checking the drain holes online somewhere, they're rearward of the seats and you need the top down to see them.

Edited by bizizl

Looks like they've invested plenty time in that. Obviously not short of cash given their other albums too! Seem like it could be a good find.

As others have said, its rust that is really all you have to worry about them, everything else is cheap and freely available.

I miss mine, even though I didnt have it long.

IMG_20140927_153347.jpg