Clearing Headlights & Protecting From UV - Add Your Method

Stutopia

This comes up regularly and I've now had two goes at it, so I thought I'd post up a thread with my experiences. I've heard anything from toothpaste to compound to metal polish can be used to clear up the hazing, and a variety of different approaches to sealing them. I'm hoping members will add in their methods and the products they've used. If you do, it'll be pinned as a superguide.

I learnt some lessons from last time:

1 - Do use a dust sheet - or spend ages cleaning your engine bay afterwards

2 - Do have a stool to sit on while you work

3 - Do use a good UV sealant afterwards, or you'll be doing this annually

4 - Do be as aggressive as you dare

5 - Don't use this sealant (https://www.amazon.c...7038051_TE_dp_1) It's no good.

The Problem

This is how I finished up last time (Nov '14)

5496E0F8-B068-44CB-B624-130F502C7DA4_zpsopxdoqg7.png

And how it looked this morning. You can clearly see the hazing is back and looking awful.

Hazzing_zpsacpoxyso.jpg

Masked up and ready to have a go. It looks so bad :(

Masked_zpslcxlqjvj.jpg

Clearing The Haze

Last time I tried Meg's Ultimate Compound, also one of the soft paint menzerna cutting goops on a cutting pad, all attached to my basic Megs DA. I found that this took loads of passes and only the Megs ultimate got me anywhere, and even then, slowly.

This time I put the soft paint stuff to one side and went in deep and hard first off, using some Poorbooys SSR-2 to prime the pad and add some lubrication, then a liberal topping of this.

Autosol_zpspesst6so.jpg

I already can hear the screams out there of putting this on a DA pad, but I wanted to mow down the hazing, not tickle it in to submission. Needless to say, one medium pressure pass dealt with it rather nicely :teeth:

One%20Pass_zpsku1vntxx.jpg

Not sure how many mills of plastic I lost, but you can certainly tell the difference. I don't even need to say the one on the right is the tidied one.

One%20Done_zpsj4yn54dv.jpg

I couldn't get to all the tiny little buggers but they're innocuous at further than 6 inches away. I have turned up the definition quite severely on these images to pick them out.

Teeny%20Scratches%202_zpsf8ajph1x.jpg

Teeny%20Scratches_zpspfawilch.jpg

Both sides done, wiped down, dust sheets & masking away. :teeth:

Done%20Polishing_zpsembwyyle.jpg

UV Protection

Having failed to protect them sufficiently well last time, I threw away the amazon offering and switched to EXO v2 this time.

Exo_zpsnqadvpex.jpg

I didn't use this last time as it's a bit fussy about being applied outside and it needs to be kept dry for 6 hours and I have no garage, but I decided to wait for a very dry day and risk it.

Dead easy to apply, just do it out of the sun and wear gloves and breathing equipment.

• Wipe down area with IPA (or Gyeon Prep in my case)
  • Apply on the provided applicator pad in vertical lines
  • Apply in horizontal lines
  • Wait a few seconds
  • Wipe off with a clean microfibre
  • Flip the microfibre and wipe again
  • Now do the other headlight
  • Then go back and do a second coat on the first one
  • Then go back and do a second coat on the second one
  • Keep dry for 6 hours or more

I might do a third coat on each tomorrow, if this weather holds.

I'm assuming that the solvent colour/light effect (which wasn't there before) is evidence that this stuff is in place.

Sealed_zpsvlho1bfc.jpg

How to vid for EXO:

Anyway, that's my version two method. It's probably not as good as the 3 grades of sandpaper version I've seen but I'm not sure I have the minerals for that.

Don't forget to throw away the pad if you put metal polish on it, I don't think it'll be any good for paint any more :scare:

Pease do post up your methods, products and pics - ideally it would be good to have a few options for people, particularly one that doesn't involve a DA.

• Like 5

The prism effect after Exo should clear up a fair bit as the coating cures and the solvents evaporate fully by the way. :thumbs:

No photos from me, largely because I'm on my phone at the moment, but my method for moderately deteriorated lights was to use Scholl S20 Blue on a Crimson Lake Country pad by DA to tidy up. Always followed by an IPA wipe down prior to dealing.

Sealants that I've used include;

- FK1000P, lasts a month or two on headlights but needs to be reapplied regularly to keep further damage at bay.

- Hubikote Hubitrim, lasted about 6 months but within a year the headlights were starting to deteriorate again.

- whatever wax or sealant was going on the rest of the car, lasted a month tops and needs constant reapplication to top up the protection.

Currently using GTechniq C5, applied about 3 weeks ago so I'll update accordingly for as long as I own the car.

• Like 1