Tyre help

dangerman

Hi there,

Just joined the forum recently. Had the car for about a month after trading in my Celica T-Sport so be nice!

Had a blow out on the motorway last weekend so I've driving around town with the space saver... not very nice let me tell you. The reason for this is because I'm having difficulty trying to find the right tyre. My car came with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 96W 245/245/18 but nobody seems to have them. Did a quick check on the Bridgestone website last night and they're not even listed on there!

I've been offered an RE040 96W, an RE050 96Y and an RE050 100Y. They all have slightly different groove treads in the middle. My question is will this make much of a difference if I keep the other tyre the same or should I change both tyres?

Thanks

:welcome: to the forum, lots of talk about tyres on here if you do a search. You will soon find that Bridgestones are not a very desirable choice for the zed. Many like the Toyo's Michelin Pilot sport2's or Falkens. The Bridgestones are not very good in the wet. :thumbs:

Glad you survived the blow-out :drive1

Welcome buddy, enjoy the forum. The tyre question is a hot one on here. Bridgestones do not have a great rep.

As Stuey says you can change the two for something ( in my opinion ) better tyres and then later change the other two.

Here is a bit of reading for you

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=60

There are lots of options for you. You shouldnt have any prolem finding replacements, I live in the sticks and can get a Toyo, or pilot sport etc same day at the local garage for about £170

Unless the other tyre on the same axle is as new you might be better off changing both to one of the brands recommeded above - prices vary so hopefully one wil suit your budget. Toyo's for me personally having watched various feedback over the last year or so on here. :thumbs:

Bridgestone has good tyres, the RE050. RE040 is what is on the Z normally, those are of lesser quality, or, better put, have different properties (e.g. they will last forever :teeth:)

Its like saying "dont get Pirelli's, they suck", whilst referring to the P6000, ignoring the fact they also have P Zeros

Bridgestone has good tyres, the RE050. RE040 is what is on the Z normally, those are of lesser quality, or, better put, have different properties (e.g. they will last forever :teeth:)

Its like saying "dont get Pirelli's, they suck", whilst referring to the P6000, ignoring the fact they also have P Zeros

I wouldn't disagree with anthing you say there but whilst I had been prepared to give the RE050's a chance on the new Zed, I'm not sure I'll bother if I can't replace one after a puncture. Well done Nissan! :dry:

I'm in London martinmac. My RE050's came with the car when I bought it. It seems to be the choice for the 313bhp methinks. Personally I think the car can get a bit skittish in the wet but I thought that was just one of the characteristics of the car itself.

I wouldn't disagree with anthing you say there but whilst I had been prepared to give the RE050's a chance on the new Zed, I'm not sure I'll bother if I can't replace one after a puncture. Well done Nissan! :dry:

Indeed. I can have very good prices on Bridgestone car/motorcycle tyres and also wanted to try the RE050, but alas, not in the right size for the Z. Go figure :headhurt:

I don't know about members but I opened up the Yellow Pages and only one company out of all the picture ads had the Falkens in stock. Some hadn't even heard of them. I'd heard about Camskill so I tried there and this is where I've got the best price so far. £88 a corner! I'll be placing an order on Monday.