Insurance seems to be cheaper with more miles driven

Banz

Was getting a quote for 5k miles driven a year and another for 10k. The 10k was £40 cheaper on the same car. When I asked the lady. She said that you're higher risk if you don't drive much!

It's always nearly impossible to second guess how certain parameters will effect insurance :lol:

For example changing the value of my old car from £4k to £5k reduced the premium by £100!

Also for some reason saying that mine would be parked on the drive made it cheaper than being in a garage, and also adding an immobiliser once made mine more expensive...

It just varies so much, and doesn't always seem intuitive :surrender:

Do you have business miles included?

I don't drive to work. As I live 30 seconds on foot from work.

The strange part is that if I park it at my drive way, the insurance is less than if I park it in my work car park (cctv, security guards and gate). I guess they just input the details into the computer so you just can't predict it will give you.

I asked once about the driveway vs garage thing as I find this every year. Apparently I am risk of scratching panels on the entrance to my garage which is why it's higher. I obviously think this is mental but it realy does seem like car insurance is a mixture of witchcraft and a personal lottery.

I asked once about the driveway vs garage thing as I find this every year. Apparently I am risk of scratching panels on the entrance to my garage which is why it's higher. I obviously think this is mental but it realy does seem like car insurance is a mixture of witchcraft and a personal lottery.

Not sure I believe what they told you as I'm not convinced they'd even pay out in that situation.

I was under the impression that it's because a criminal could break into your garage pretty much unnoticed and enter and Hotwire the car without anyone noticing, compared to someone with a clothes hanger down the window in the street.

Not sure I believe what they told you as I'm not convinced they'd even pay out in that situation.

I was under the impression that it's because a criminal could break into your garage pretty much unnoticed and enter and Hotwire the car without anyone noticing, compared to someone with a clothes hanger down the window in the street.

Why would they not pay out under a comprehensive policy? Sure I would have excess to pay but if I want to make a claim for accidental damage that is what insurance is there for no.

Not that I am necessarily in full belief as to what I was told as I think it is pure nonsense, I said I thought it was ridiculous when they told me that, I am just passing on the bit of info I was told. But I would rather have my car in the garage and will always pay the extra to make sure I stay legal despite my distaste for the matter.

I can kind of see the logic in the whole stealing thing, but is it not also more likely that I have an alarm on the garage (which I do in my case) or that there is surveillance on the garage (not so for me, but perhaps in general) which would aid in finding said thief and the return of the vehicle.

Interesting that the increased mileage put price down though as I was always of the impression that having more miles per year made you a greater risk as you spend more time on the road. It really does all seem a bit fantastical really.

Why would they not pay out under a comprehensive policy? Sure I would have excess to pay but if I want to make a claim for accidental damage that is what insurance is there for no.

Not that I am necessarily in full belief as to what I was told as I think it is pure nonsense, I said I thought it was ridiculous when they told me that, I am just passing on the bit of info I was told. But I would rather have my car in the garage and will always pay the extra to make sure I stay legal despite my distaste for the matter.

I can kind of see the logic in the whole stealing thing, but is it not also more likely that I have an alarm on the garage (which I do in my case) or that there is surveillance on the garage (not so for me, but perhaps in general) which would aid in finding said thief and the return of the vehicle.

Interesting that the increased mileage put price down though as I was always of the impression that having more miles per year made you a greater risk as you spend more time on the road. It really does all seem a bit fantastical really.

I don't know mate, I just think it would be one of those incidents that they'd wriggle out of. Maybe one of resident brokers could chime in with a more educated opinion?