help with paint issue

jumping350

Im now in-between two projects one being the zed the other being my subaru.

When I bought the car some of the paint was peeling from around the edges on panels where previous owner had done a respray. This has gradually got worse over time as the douche didn't appear to lacquer it at all!!

So whats happening is I can literally peel away the paint with finger in most areas/panels and see the silver underneath which is smooth as hell which means he didn't even key the surface before painting!

My friend has said he will spray the car for me however I have to prep it as best I can before taking it down to him. (Im respraying it black)

Question is then what is the best method to get this top layer paint off??

Do I need to sand the whole car back to original silver colour?

If so what is the best method to do this with the paint I have bare in mind no lacquer on it and wasn't keyed underneath either so falls off at will :lol:

Electrical sander??

Literally every panel on the car has some sort of peeling on it so expecting to do the whole car just trying to find out the easiest way to get this paint off

Any help appreciated

Edited by jumping350

I guess you're wider problem is (and I'm guessing why you're asking the question)......if it's peeling off in some areas what about the rest.

It's a tough one buddy. Also depends what kind of paints were used in the previous respray.

Theoretically you could be into taking the lot back but that's MAJOR amounts of work

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for replies guys

I fear if I do as you said Veilside and just do the edges and spray over the paint that's still there its going to lift after a while and cause me a second paint job problem later down the line but may do a test area and see what happens.

It is a dilema, ive seen a few videos of people using a really sharp scraper on really crap peeling spray jobs to get the old paint off, that seemed to do a speedy job whilst leaving original paint underneath in a workable state so so will do a test area of that as well.

Its probably the cheapest/laziest spray job ive ever seen so doubt any decent paint was used either for the job.

We went round this morning and there is not one panel on the car (except for the scoop) that hasn't got peeling on it I pretty resided to the fact that I have got a major job on my hands here to get old paint off. Il post some pics in a bit

So is there a better less time consuming way to get that top layer of paint off?

Will an orbital sander with an 80 grit pad be ok or does it have to be a DA? :lol: I almost took my angle grinder to it this morning but then read some horror stories and the fact it would heat the panel up too much :wacko:

Can your buddy give you some advice? Only because he'll be able to see the car.

Mate if you have the patience to sand back an entire car I'll take my hat right off to you.

Veilside is potentially correct though. Usually the bits that end up peeling are the harder bits to scotch so the center of the panel could be OK.

Problem is if ready for use lacquer has been used (i.e not 2k) then it'll potentially react with the new paint so full strip might be best.

He lives miles away and is literally spraying for nothing if I do all of the prep work so literally dropping it off to him 90% done and leaving it to be finished off and sprayed as he doesn't have time ether unless I book it in properly

Heres a couple of pics, car is filthy as expected :)

So the area around the lights is coming away at its on accord, but can see the shiny silver underneath

20160514_114930_zpsoteyhnpv.jpg

And this is the passenger door but the rest of the door panel appears to be ok but as I say the paint just picks away so easily so not sure if sanding the edges down would be to no avail?

20160514_114920_zpsfjktsgto.jpg

Im a pretty patient guy have you not seen how long my supercharge build went on for :lol: Im in no rush so panel at a time is the way im approaching it, my other mate will help me out too, so not completely on my own

Just need to know what tools to use now im itching to go buy something today and start or at least try

If thats the case then im loving it Veilside :lol: dont mind doing the edges and peeling spots and sanding/keying the rest of the white paint ready for primer.

So il work through 400-1200 sandpaper in one area and see how I get on

Il update in here thanks for info so far

So had someone take a look at it and all the paint has to come off :scare:

Im buying a dual action sander...unless there is a better method? Does it have to be dual action or will variable speed one be ok for this?

Can anyone recommend what grade of sandpaper/disc I should use to get peeling paint off?

Edited by jumping350

Only just seen this, yes you need to remove ALL the previous paint, for the reasons you mentioned, IE its not been keyed to the previous paint coat, otherwise you will eventually end up with the new paint coming away with the old, a DA sander with 380 grit will shift it, but if there isn't not going to be any primer it wants going over with 600 grit wet n dry before its base coated.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

I know we're getting 3 'experienced' opinions here (least I think we all are!) but I think there's an element of us all 'potentially' being correct.

3 main issues are

- Prep. What's been done? Basically we don't know so it's safer to assume the whole car hasn't been prepped properly. That said it could just be the edges which wouldn't necessitate taking it right back

- Product. We don't know what paint has been used. We've probably all seen some horrendous reactions cause by layering good quality on top of bad.

- Current finish. If it's crazy paving/microblistered and friends then whizzing the lot off would be required.

If you're mate has given you an opinion and it's one you can trust then it's probs fubar.

If you buy a DA make sure you get a decent one like Makita or something. I bought a Titan one from screw fix and I do think it's anywhere near as effective (well certainly not for refinishing fresh paint)

• Like 1

Yep the whole car needs stripping back door shuts and all !!

Basically when the white paint comes off the underneath is immediately shiny silver (original colour) and the shine is the lacquer which means no keying and no primer before they sprayed the car white....brilliant! Its fubured based on the fact every single panel is peeling or chipped somewhere (and I haven't even crashed it :lol: )

I really cant see it staying true with just the edges being done as I guarantee the paint is crap also

Yeah going for a good brand for DA and start with the 380 (Thanks Ricky) il key the layer below and then primer ready for base coat

I see another build thread coming :headhurt:

Edited by jumping350

IMO your friend gave you the right advice, any paint that is coming off that easy is always suspect and its just false economy to shift the loose stuff and hope the rest stays put.

If the original paint is good and you can key it without putting scratches into it, and the colour is not too dissimilar you can usually get away without using a primer, just spray a fairly wet first coat to give the solvent a chance to etch into the old paint, this is assuming that the original paint is a solvent based 2K which going by the car almost certainly is, however if you are looking for a nice blemish free long lasting finish then I would apply a primer/filler first to give it a good base.

• Like 1

i'd just knock it all back. Do it nice or do it twice. Yes, it's a lot of hard work but, you'll know it shouldn't peel back at any point in the future. You don't want to do a half arsed job when it comes to paint. It's a fickled thing that has no forgiveness.

• Like 1